can i do this....[using Panther upgrade CD on more than one Mac]

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by bkopi, Jan 30, 2004.

1. bkopi macrumors newbie

i got a G5 when it first come out so i have the Panther upgrade disc at a lowered price, i also have a first gen. 12" powerbook G4 at home, is it possible to use the same upgrade disc to upgarde a second MAC? just trying to save money.

2. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    yeah it is, but its technichally illegal if you are running both machines at the same time since this isnt a family pack license, but if you use one machine at a time, i think its not an offence. but i could be wrong.

3. bkopi thread starter macrumors newbie

i never use them at the same time, one is in my office, the other one at home!
    thanks for your reply. anyone else have different ideas?

4. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

upgrading to panther = bad

i have seen nothing but problems when upgrading. a clean install is definitely what i recommend, but you will need the full version for that.

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Yes you can use the CD as many times as you like, how many times only depends on your own morals :eek: :D No, you shouldn't install it more than once, but who cares? Be a rebel! Just do it :p

6. Pseudonym macrumors regular

I spoke to someone at the Apple Centre near me. He says the software is licensed to you and not to a machine so it is perfectly legal to instal it on two machines that you use (eg Laptop and desktop). What isn't legal is to then copy it onto friends' machines or family members.

OK, that was a more boring answer than edesign's!

7. MacBoyX macrumors 6502

MacBoyX

I thought the upgrade disc had an option to do a clean install as long as you already had 10.2 installed?

I second the thoughts on no upgrades. Clean installs are better.

macboyX

8. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

here's an even more boring answer. i bet you that the person you spoke to is wrong. afaik, almost every Mac software is one license - one machine, one install, one use at a time. iLife is like this and if you read the actual license, i have almost no doubt that it will say one install only. it's rarely licensed to the user - it's ONE licensed copy. (otherwise, why would there be a family pack? can't you just claim 5 computers were purchased by one person hence one "user"?)

if you are worried/curious/etc., just read the license. the license regarding the installation is right at the beginning.

9. bkopi thread starter macrumors newbie