Can I do this with my hard drive or should I just buy another?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jayeskreezy, Mar 7, 2005.

1. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

Mar 3, 2005
    Ok so I have an IBM Thinkpad with I think a 20gb hard drive that I want to upgrade to 60gb. I was wondering though if I could remove the 20gb from my IBM laptop and purchase an external 2.5" or 3.5" enclosure(not sure which one it is) and make that an external hard drive that would be compatible as a storage device for both the IBM and a MAC. Would I need to reformat it since it has windows on it right now or would it be ok since it's only serving as a storage drive?

I dont know anything about this process so any and all help would be greatly appreciated. :)
  2. yippy macrumors 68020

Mar 14, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    You can do that just fine. Get an enclosure form

You will probably have to reformat it to FAT-32 though. Mac can only read, not write to NTFS (which I believe is the default format for Windows these days).
  3. jayeskreezy thread starter macrumors 65816

Mar 3, 2005
    so if I reformat it to FAT-32 it will be able to read and store stuff from a windows AND a mac computer?

also, which size is it? is it 2.5" or 3.5" for a laptop?
  4. plinden macrumors 68040

Apr 8, 2004
    You could do that - it's probably a 2.5" drive. Look up -> computers -> accessories -> External Enclosures. You can get a 2.5" enclosure for $20.

Your current drive is almost certainly NTFS (Select "MyComputer"/"C: drive"/right click and "Properties" - it'll tell you the file system there), so unless there's something on it you want to keep, you should reformat to FAT32 if you're sharing it across different OSs. Reformatting it is easy.
  5. plinden macrumors 68040

Apr 8, 2004
    It should be 2.5" but if you want to be absolutely sure, go to Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager and look at the entry for the disk drive. Then google for the hard drive.
  6. panphage macrumors 6502

Jul 1, 2003
    If it's a drive out of a laptop, it's 2.5". You don't have to look anything up.
  7. jayeskreezy thread starter macrumors 65816

Mar 3, 2005
    thanks yall...I just bought a 2.5" new case on ebay for $10.49 shipped :)