Can I do this

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by demonx, Nov 17, 2002.

1. demonx macrumors regular

Can I hook my iBook to my PC ia Firewire or USB and have them pick up eachother so I can just drag and drop files from one to another?

Just curious, as I don't have a usb or firewire connector around to try it, and don't want to buy one unless its going to work:p

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

As far as I know you can't, there *may* be specific software that you can buy that would enable you to do this.
    What you can do is use an ethenet cross-over cable and just hook the two together that way.

3. demonx thread starter macrumors regular

4. bidge macrumors 6502

ethernet and crossover would probably be the easiest, as edesignuk said.

There is that piece of software Switch to mac or something, so it is definitely possible.

I know that you can do it with two macs, so if you have a sift round Apple's support site they might say how to do that, and if it uses the network protocols it should.

Good luck

5. Classic macrumors regular

No Crossover needed....

I can't vouch for whether or not connecting a PC to a Mac directly with an ethernet cable will work or not, but I am pretty sure that you don't need a crossover cable to do it. I know that with Quicksilver G4's and newer, you don't need a crossover cable. Anyone will work as the ethernet card itself will adapt and emmulate the crossover for you. I'm not 100% sure about the iBooks though. What version iBook do you have?

6. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

Just get a crossover cable

I got a crossover cable for like ten bucks, the networking stuff is built into both os's and they link up fine. The networking is really simple with the mac you jsut hit go connect to server and it will see the windows netowrk
    On the Pc all you need to do it hit run //macip/username and it will load your mac's home folder into a window
    The netowrking is really simple, this forum got me through it all ( thank you) , especially with the modern os's .

7. demonx thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys
    I found the remote desktop connection program for Mac. So now I can just use that to take over my main box from work, school, etc etc.

Now if anyone is a network guru, can they tell me how to possibly connect to my box when Im at work. I can easily do this at home when im on the local network.

But since "my box" is upstairs at home, and does not directly connect to the net(the family downstairs computer has the connection) im not sure how I would go about connecting to it. Since I can't use its local address from the net hmmm:(

8. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

there is no need for a crossover cable on iBooks either. My iBook detects whether it needs to soft-cross or not.

Also, theres no reason you cant use a firewire cable to get your data. Just boot your iBook into target disk mode and drop the files where you want.

I believe that the shortcut on boot is cmd+f

9. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

Actually, the Taget Disk Mode shortcut is Command-T at restart. Just an FYI.

Gus

10. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

Re: Can I do this

that should be easy...in the mac i think theres
    an option for sharing window file shariing.

turn that on and on the pc, hmmm not sure.
    go into the control panels and see if you can
    turn on file sharing....maybe in network controls.

we use to use a dell and a pc for our server at
    an ad agency..it worked fine. i just dont know
    it the pc needs special software...its only file sharing

11. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

He could do this if it was Mac to Mac, but he wants to transfer Mac to PC.

12. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

Actually, it's T, not cmnd-T.