Can I do with an iPod what I want ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by CmdrLaForge, Feb 6, 2004.

1. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Hi,

I am looking for a harddrive that I can easily carry around with me to exchange data between my Mac and (not my own) Windows machines. The Windows machines are mainly in internet cafes where I am surfing the web and where I want access to my files. The question for me is what is the best way to do that ? My preferred why would be an iPod. But I don't know if I have to install a lot of special software to get access to my data which might be not allowed in some places. I know that there are cheaper harddrives, but the iPod comes with a lot of other benefits (music :D , calendar, ...) what is worth the higher price. Another option I am thinking about is .Mac but then on the other hand I need access to the internet that might be as well not always possible.
    Maybe anyone has some ideas ? Thanks a lot for your help ! :confused:

2. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

what amount of files are you talking about, here? 128MB or 5GB? that would make a big difference in what the best choice would be.

3. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Yest the iPod will do this very well. Get an iPod if you can one with the PC package. Get if formatted for the PC. It will still be recognized on a Mac in this way but will work natively with the PC. Use the USB2.0 cable and this will give you maximum compatibility. You will have access to both Macs and PCs whether they have USB 2.0 or 1.0. You don't need any software when plugged in it should just appear like an ordinary external drive. Just be sure to eject it before disconnecting.

4. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

is it not a fact, that windows can be configured, that it restricts external drives? if i own an internet cafe, i would not allow anyone to do anything other than surf. maybe let the customers use an usb stick.

5. CmdrLaForge thread starter macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Thanks for the info ! Can I still use the firewire cable to connect it to the Mac ? Or can I onls use USB 2.0 ? May iBook has only USB 1.0 ! Does it work with USB 1.0 as well ?

Do I have to format it by myself or is this somehow BTO ? I haven't seen anything like that in the Store. It just says that it comes with a connector cable :

--------------------------------
    5.6 ounces
    2.4 x 4.1 x .62 inches
    Apple Earphones
    AC Adapter
    FireWire cable
    PC FireWire adapter

---------------------------------

No USB 2.0 cable or anything about formatting is mentioned.

My files are around 700 MBytes. I could use a CD for them only. But I also like to backup pictures.

Thanks for your help.

CmdrLaForge

6. G5isAlive macrumors 6502

Not so sure windows version is what you want..

If you buy the windows version from Apple it comes formatted for windows BUT it will NOT work with itunes on the mac (ie music)... which I gather you also want to do besides carrying files.

Otherwise if you JUST want to carry files you might as well not buy an ipod and just get a portable drive.

IMHO

7. CmdrLaForge thread starter macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Re: Not so sure windows version is what you want..

Well, as I said: of course I want to listen to my music ! :eek: Just a harddrive would be much cheaper. But no: I like to have an iPod and use it as an iPod and that means listen to my iTunes music from my Mac. But in addition I like to use it to exchange and carry around files from my Mac to any >NOT MY OWN< PC.

If that what you are saying is true it just means that I can forget it. Which is definitly an answer to my question (thanks for that), even so its not the preferred one.

Cheers
    CmdrLaForge:(

8. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: Not so sure windows version is what you want..

Yes it will work with iTunes on the Mac unless they have changed something in the software over the last year. I use to use a Windows 1G iPod on my Mac regularly with no problems. The only problem is you can only use it with one iTunes computer at a time. If you want to use another iTunes will delete the music folder and install the music from the current machine you are.

Yes, you can use a firewire cable as well as the USB cable. Also you can use the Windows iPod software restore or the Mac iPod software restore to reformat and install for either computer but in my experience you only need the Windows one since it works natively even with the Windows format on the Mac.

9. CmdrLaForge thread starter macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Re: Re: Not so sure windows version is what you want..

Thanks a lot for your reply. I hope you are right, because I have now two opposite answers and I really like to get an iPod. Maybe someone else can confirm that it really works.

Cheers

10. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: Re: Re: Not so sure windows version is what you want..

Yeah it would be good to confirm on a new iPod. Like I said I did this for a while with a Windows iPod on my Mac but it was a first generation iPod.