Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TenFour

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
After hours of troubleshooting, it seems to me that my G3 running OS 8.6 has a corrupted system suitcase. I cannot seem to rebless my system folder. Is there a site on the internet where I can download a system folder for OS 8.6 which I can then use as my new startup volume? Or perhaps individual system folder components, like a finder and a system suitcase, which I can put into my present system folder to rebless it?

I'm open to other suggestions as well, as my computer won't boot without the use of an iMac OS 9 software restore CD, which is the only system CD I have access to. Can OS 8.6 be downloaded from anywhere?

Thanks.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
If you have the OS 9 CD I would recommend you just install System 9. It is much better than System 8.6, and it will only install a new system. Won't erase anything, and get you Re-Blessed (whatever that means).
Install OS 9!

TenFour

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
GimmeSlack12 said:
If you have the OS 9 CD I would recommend you just install System 9. It is much better than System 8.6, and it will only install a new system. Won't erase anything, and get you Re-Blessed (whatever that means).
Install OS 9!

Thanks for the response. Here's the problem, the OS 9 CD is a system restore CD... I thought I could just upgrade to OS 9 using the disk, but it won't let me. Is a restore disk different from an OS install disk? If you know why it won't let me upgrade to OS 9 I'd love to hear. Also, this "Re-Blessing" stuff is new to me too; I came across it in researching how to fix my computer... it just means that your system folder contains a working finder and system suitcase. Your system folder will have a smiley mac OS icon if it is blessed, if not blessed, it'll just have a suitcase icon.

TenFour

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
Heb1228 said:
Blessing a volume means that it is able to be used as a startup disk.

I stand corrected. If that's the case, which volumes can be blessed for use as startup disks, and how is it done? 'Cause my computer can't find a startup volume and I'm stuck for ideas.

Thanks.

SmurfBoxMasta

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
I'm only really here at night.
TenFour said:
I stand corrected. If that's the case, which volumes can be blessed for use as startup disks, and how is it done? 'Cause my computer can't find a startup volume and I'm stuck for ideas.

Thanks.

Any uncorrupted, properly installed system folder can be blessed & used to boot from.

The old trick from back in the OS 8 & 9 days was to move the system folder to the desktop, wait a few minutes, and then move it back to where it belongs, which blesses it. But of course this means you must be booted from another disk or HDD too .......

So use that OS 9 disk to boot up, locate the 8.6 system folder and do as above, then reboot back to 8.6 :)

ps this assumes that your 8.6 system folder is fully functional in the 1st place......

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Jeez, I feel my Mac OS Classic memory is fading. Isn't there way to do a clean install from a Restore CD? There used to be a keystroke in the installer window that would bring up the option, but I can't remember what it was.

EDIT: Oh for OS 9 CD's there should be an options button in the installer, can you get to that?

TenFour

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
SmurfBoxMasta said:
Any uncorrupted, properly installed system folder can be blessed & used to boot from.

The old trick from back in the OS 8 & 9 days was to move the system folder to the desktop, wait a few minutes, and then move it back to where it belongs, which blesses it. But of course this means you must be booted from another disk or HDD too .......

So use that OS 9 disk to boot up, locate the 8.6 system folder and do as above, then reboot back to 8.6 :)

ps this assumes that your 8.6 system folder is fully functional in the 1st place......

Well, the hits just keep on coming! Now when I boot from the OS 9 iMac software restore disk (which is the only disk I can boot from) my cursor freezes just as the computer finishes booting. I'm getting pretty close to tossing this thing out the window.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.