Can I export Endnote 7.0 to Endnote on Windows?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Ja Di ksw, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Apr 9, 2003
    I have Endnote 7.0 for the Apple. Does anyone know if I can export the data to Endnote running on Windows?
  2. hogmog macrumors member

Oct 30, 2006
    Thames Valley, UK
    As a daily user of EndNote there is a short answer - yes but...

EndNote (EN) 7.0 Mac files can be opened and edited etc by EN 7.0 for Windows and vice versa. So for example you could have your EN database on a memory stick and open, edit, add new refs etc using EN 7.0 Mac at home and then take in add, edit etc on EN 7.0 Windows at work/college.

The challenge arise when you encounter EN 8.0 and above - Thomson changed the file format on EN 8.0 so when EN 8.0 opens a 7.0 or earlier database it converts into the new format. If my memory is correct 8.0 onwards cannot save to older versions. This applies to both Mac and Win versions.

EN 8.0, 9.0 and X (10.0) all use the same file format and databases are fully interchangeable between Mac and Win versions. If you feel like upgrading don't go for 8.0 - both Mac and Win versions were rubbish. 9.0 was stable. Haven't got round to going to X - doesn't appear to offer much functionality over 9.0.

For more info on compatibility etc go to

Hope this answers the question ok.