Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

parrothead

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 24, 2003
Edmonds, WA
Does anyone know if it is possible to send a fax using a bluetooth connection to a cell phone instead of the built in modem?

Details: Computer Powerbook G4, built in modem, bluetooth, 10.4.6. Phone SE T-610

Wasnt sure if this went in the hardware or software thread since it is a little of both!

encro

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2002
bendigo.victoria.au
You should be able to do something like this by going into the Bluetooth preferences panel, and adding a serial port on the sharing tab. You would also need to enable it so that it shows up in Network Preferences. Then set the fax panel to use the newly available serial port. of course all this is theory as I've never sent a fax but it seems easy enough in a quick test with my S700i as it appears in Fax settings for me :)

parrothead

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 24, 2003
Edmonds, WA
Thanks for the reply. I have tried that and it starts to dial my phone and then it suddenly stops and holds the fax. On the phone the dialing screen comes on and then flashes off. Looks like it is not liking something. Any other ideas?

chosenwolf

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2006
Los Angeles
encro said:
You should be able to do something like this by going into the Bluetooth preferences panel, and adding a serial port on the sharing tab. You would also need to enable it so that it shows up in Network Preferences. Then set the fax panel to use the newly available serial port. of course all this is theory as I've never sent a fax but it seems easy enough in a quick test with my S700i as it appears in Fax settings for me :)

When I go to "set up fax modem," I only get a small "Fax List" box with Delete, Show Info, and Stop Jobs. Do you guys get this also?

encro

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2002
bendigo.victoria.au
wickedG35 said:
When I go to "set up fax modem," I only get a small "Fax List" box with Delete, Show Info, and Stop Jobs. Do you guys get this also?

Thats what appears for me also, in the list below I have 'Bluetooth Fax - Sony Ericsson S700i' though.

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
It's possible to do this, however both your phone and cell carrier have to support it (the Apple article also mentions this, but it's worth pointing out).

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
Got my bluetooth phone set up for Verizon's Nat'l Access...Free (weekends and nights)! woohoo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.