Can I fax using bluetooth phone as modem?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by parrothead, Apr 7, 2006.

1. parrothead macrumors 6502a

parrothead

Does anyone know if it is possible to send a fax using a bluetooth connection to a cell phone instead of the built in modem?

Details: Computer Powerbook G4, built in modem, bluetooth, 10.4.6. Phone SE T-610

Wasnt sure if this went in the hardware or software thread since it is a little of both!

2. encro macrumors 6502

encro

You should be able to do something like this by going into the Bluetooth preferences panel, and adding a serial port on the sharing tab. You would also need to enable it so that it shows up in Network Preferences. Then set the fax panel to use the newly available serial port. of course all this is theory as I've never sent a fax but it seems easy enough in a quick test with my S700i as it appears in Fax settings for me :)

3. parrothead thread starter macrumors 6502a

parrothead

Thanks for the reply. I have tried that and it starts to dial my phone and then it suddenly stops and holds the fax. On the phone the dialing screen comes on and then flashes off. Looks like it is not liking something. Any other ideas?

4. encro macrumors 6502

encro

5. superwoman macrumors regular

I have also wanted to do this, but never succeeded. Normal dial-up is fine, just fax doesn't work.

6. chosenwolf macrumors 6502a

chosenwolf

When I go to "set up fax modem," I only get a small "Fax List" box with Delete, Show Info, and Stop Jobs. Do you guys get this also?

7. encro macrumors 6502

encro

Thats what appears for me also, in the list below I have 'Bluetooth Fax - Sony Ericsson S700i' though.

8. superwoman macrumors regular

Yeah, same thing.

9. parrothead thread starter macrumors 6502a

parrothead

Thanks for this, lots of good stuff to get all nerdy with and drive my wife crazy! I will let you know if it helped get this to work.

10. dougzv macrumors newbie

11. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

It's possible to do this, however both your phone and cell carrier have to support it (the Apple article also mentions this, but it's worth pointing out).

12. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

Got my bluetooth phone set up for Verizon's Nat'l Access...Free (weekends and nights)! woohoo.