Can I force iTunes to treat an mp3 as a podcast file?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by pepita, Mar 16, 2006.

1. pepita macrumors member

I just learnt (here) how to change the tags so that a podcast mp3 will be treated by iTunes as a normal mp3 (ie. showing in the main library as music, not in the podcast list), but I want to do the opposite...

Here's why: I manually downloaded a podcast episode (from WNYC, New York Public Radio) that was aired before I subscribed to that podcast, so it was not in the list of automatically downloaded episodes for that podcast. I would like to force iTunes to add it to that list as if I'd downloaded it from the podcast, rather than getting it from the website (hope I'm not making this sound confusing!). That way, it won't show up as music, but will stay in the podcast list.

Is that possible, using id3v2 to edit the tags? Or should I just forget about it?

Apart from the "podcast" and the subtitle tags, how exactly does iTunes remember which files are downloaded from podcasts and which are music files? Does it store a list in its preferences files?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. oslomac macrumors newbie

Has anyone figured this out? I have the same need... both because I have downloaded files separately, and because some podcast files on the iTunes Store were miscategorized (TEDTalks audio), so I subscribed and now the individual lectures have their own podcast category, which is completely stupid.

Thanks for responding!

3. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I haven't used it but you may want to look at this software (free):
    http://www.*********oftware.com/

Whoops link doesn't work just google *********oftware (all one word)

arrgh the censor software doesn't like something put free, ipod, and software together and google.

This post is running out of control,scrap all of the above it's for windows.