can I get a refund on .Mac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Project, Nov 25, 2005.

1. Project macrumors 68020

I know its unlikely, but do Apple stores accept returns on .Mac? I bought it through pure adrenaline I guess at the recent Apple store opening here. And while I like it, I cant justify the cost for what you get. It would be worthwhile if I used a Mac email address but my current Gmail address is so well integrated with my friends, family and colleagues etc that I dont really want to change it.

Only problem is, I registered the activation key.

2. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

i would say not but worth a try , call apple

3. Will Cheyney macrumors 6502a

Will Cheyney

My guess if that since you've activated it, the answer will be no.
    I'd just stick with it until the years up.

4. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

If you hadn't opened it I would say yes but since you have and activated it then my guess would be no.

5. generik macrumors 601

generik

I would guess the answer is no too.

It sounds like trying to get a refund on something like (say) a condom which you unsealed, even though you didn't use it! :p

6. ObsidianIce macrumors 6502

ObsidianIce

You've opened and registered it and it's considered open software...with a printed license key. they would say no. I say make sure you didn't enter a Credit card and if u did turn off autorenew and just enjoy it for a year, there are defnitely some worthwhile features.

7. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I'm with the others. It doesn't look like you'll get a refund. Is .Mac considered a Service or "just plain" Software...?

from Apple's Terms and Conditions (online)

8. ShockWave macrumors newbie

Nuh uh.. not gonna happen..

A friend was telling me to get it, now he wants a refund too!

Strange..

9. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Fantastic simile!

I bow to you and your wordplay...

10. Project thread starter macrumors 68020

/me dies

Hmm, looks like I will make do with it. .Mac is really good, just not worth the £70 every year. If it was a one off payment then cool, but not a yearly subscription.

11. deanwaterman macrumors regular

Ha Ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha... I like your funny bone...

Seriously though, I find .mac to be a good thing. If I paid $69 for it, I would consider it a worthwhile investment. It does do some awesome things.

That being said, I think Apple should give it to everyone who buys a new computer rather than charging them.

12. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

Funnily enough I have a gmail account, my ISP account and I have my own hosting with Pair Networks (for my company) but I still pay for .Mac. I have two macs and the synching options are worth it for me. Also the integration with iLife just makes it so easy...

13. Hyernel macrumors member

I signed up for the .mac free trail and soon figured out that I didn't have a use for it. The extra email is nice, but I have so many other addresses already.

I wanted the Garageband Loops, but it won't let me have them with just the free trial. Bummer.

And like I'm going to back up vital data on a server in Cupertino...puh-lease!

:rolleyes:

14. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

Ha! Be serious. If they do, somebody will come and ask them to install a Quicktime version that can play movies in fullscreen on each new computer, and THAT's really something you can't expect them to do, considering that their computers are only a few thousand dollars..

15. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    At the time i bought my iMac, in all the excitement I found myself buying the .mac thingy, too.... Now that I've got a PB in addition to my iMac I think it will come in handy for synchronizing the two, but I haven't gotten around to doing anything with it yet. I also was thinking that it should make backing up a somewhat easier process, too. Haven't yet purchased an external hard drive so haven't tried it out yet. The idea behind the program seems to be a good one but so far I haven't really explored it enough to know if it is worth the money.

OTB