can I get an analog to digital camcorder adapter?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by phreakout13, Apr 4, 2005.

1. phreakout13 macrumors 6502

phreakout13

A few years ago I bought a Sony Hi8 camcorder. Now I have a better computer, and I want to edit digital video. Rather than buy a new digital camcorder, I heard I could just get an adapter to hook my Hi8 camcorder up to my computer. Could anyone please tell me if they really have these? Also, if they do, who makes them? Thanks :)

2. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

Yes you have to spend a decent amount of money on a Video-capture box... But it works wonders.. considering your video is good quality.

kyle

3. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

I used one of these: (http://www.freetradephoto.com/DVM-CDA2AnalogToDigitalConverter.htm)
    in my broadcasting class at high school to convert our analog TV Station camera, into digital signals for editing in FCP and iMovie.

its real simple to use. just plug in the analog RCA cables from the camera, into the converter, then use a firewire cable to bring it into the computer

4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Yeah, use a converter box, but think about this... Considering the amount you'll need to spend to get anything decent, AND considering the relative features your old camera probably has, compared to the features that even a lower-priced digital camera has, it'll probably be worth the money to spend a few hundred more to just get the digital camera now, rather than buying a converter box and then buying a digital camera in 2-5 years anyway (which you probably will, considering the lifespan of video cameras). Is deferring a $1000 purchase a few years worth $500 now, and losing out on the extra functionality (digital image stabilization, etc) you'd get in the meantime? Something to think about, if you haven't already.

5. supersize macrumors member

Most newer mini-dv camcorders have analog to digital converters built in. I just bought a new canon zr200 to replace an old canon zr85 mostly because it has a analog to digital converter and it was cheaper to buy a new camera than to buy a separate converter box plus the fact that i got a new camera to play with. I hope this helps.

6. phreakout13 thread starter macrumors 6502

phreakout13

Thanks everyone for responding to my thread. I'll probably end up saving up for a converter box. I only use the camera for fun, and it was never used alot, so I'd rather not get a new one. Maybe I'll look for the box on eBay... Anyway, thanks:)

7. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Well, seeing as how no one's offered a suggestion for a particular DV converter, I'll list a couple.

Formac TVR $300
    Canopus ADVC-100 $300
    Pinacle Hollwood Bridge (I couldn't find this one anymore, and it looks like it's been replaced by a USB solution that has no Mac support)

8. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

I guess you happened to... "overlook" my post :rolleyes:

9. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

I use the ADVC 55, cost a little under $200 and it works fantastic.

10. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Oops, my bad. I didn't click through on that link and there was no mention of the name in the post. Sorry.