Can I get an education discount @ Apple Stores?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by MacFan782040, Feb 12, 2005.

1. MacFan782040 macrumors 6502a

MacFan782040

I'm getting a new iPod, and it just occured to me that maybe I can get it faster if I make a trip to the local mall and get one at an Apple Store rather than online. But can I get the edu. discount there?

Thanks.

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Yes. You can't get the edu discount on software (AFAIK), but it's not a problem with hardware. Bring your ID.

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

4. mauly macrumors 6502

Sames question: but apple resellers!!?

5. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

apple resellers do not offer edu discounts on anything, they're not allowed.

6. mauly macrumors 6502

Well my nearest apple reseller does! £15 of a £1300 iMac G5 which is a bit pathetic, whats that? just over 1% to us skint students... :rolleyes:

7. MacFan782040 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFan782040

AHH sweet!!!! Thanks a lot guys for the quick responce I wanna go tonight lol.

8. nina macrumors member

Okay... what if I'm a student from out of state (or out of the country?)

I'm a Canadian university student, and I'm planning on heading to NYC this April. If time permits, I'd love to visit the SoHo Apple Store and pick up a Shuffle as a "souvenir". ;)

Has anyone been successful at getting the EDU discount if they're a student from outside the US?

9. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

terms of educational discount online at apple.com specifies u.s. institutions. so i doubt you can use canadian ID.

you can, however, use canadian education discount...

10. TheBigB macrumors newbie

This will probably be rejected, but what if my brother (in college) shows them his ID, but I pay with my credit card? Is that still a viable solution at the store?

11. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

Only students at US universities are eligible for the discount in the US. Apple doesn't care who pays, so if you have a friend with an ID (and state photo ID) - then you could work it that way. It would not technically be "your" iPod though.

12. deral macrumors regular

deral

I even boughted iPod Socks with education discount at the apple store. But the online store right now has free engraving (mini and white) which I think is Lite Rock Kick Ass Cool, but if you don't mind the shipping wait, think about that.