Can I get Caller-ID at work just by buying a new phone?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by tobefirst, Jan 5, 2007.

1. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

So, at my desk at the hospital, I have a Nortel Meridian M2008 Basic phone, which looks like this.
    [​IMG]

However, I know that a couple of my colleagues have the caller-ID version of this phone. I would LOVE to be able to know who is calling me. If I bought the caller-ID version off the internet somewhere, would it just work? Or is there some setting that the Voice Services or IT department has which says which phone numbers get that feature? Anyone have any idea?

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Those phone systems typically shut off (from the central switch) if you unplug them until IT resets the line, so trying to replace one might not be a good idea.

3. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I thought that he would've just been able to unplug the phone, plug in the new one, and go on his way.

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

It depends how it's set up - the systems usually won't let you do that, especially with a different phone.

5. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I'll have to remember that and ask if I ever need to change phones.

6. tobefirst thread starter macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I just unplugged the phone line from the phone and then plugged it back in. It still works. Is this good news for me?

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

You might be fine - again, it can be configured to allow that - but just keep in mind that it might require IM effort to get it running again.
    Yes... but try borrowing one of the other phones and seeing it it also works. If so, you're good to go. And by "work" I mean "with your phone number, not theirs".

8. emw macrumors G4

emw

With the phone system at our company, it requires IT to set up certain features in the main phone system in order to allow caller ID features to reach the destination phone.

Kind of like buying a phone that supports caller ID for your house doesn't give you caller ID - you have to arrange for the service through your phone company.

9. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

So, in the end, you're best off by asking IT first, then buying later if (a) it's OK with them, and (b) they won't just give you a Caller ID phone.

10. tobefirst thread starter macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Aaaactually, IT doesn't like my department at all. :) I'll probably just have to continue to guess at who's calling, as no one near me has a caller-ID enabled phone I could borrow.

11. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Ya, why not just ask them for a caller id phone.

12. emw macrumors G4

emw

Oh, that's right, you're a "MAC" user. Of course, it couldn't hurt to try...

13. tobefirst thread starter macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Hahaha. You got it. Somehow, they would tie it back to that. I emailed the Administrative Assistant over there, who likes me, so I'll just wait to hear what she has to say on the issue. I'd love nothing more than to be able to avoid a call or two. :)