Can I get iDVD 3 without paying for iLife?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by MacDuff, Mar 27, 2003.

1. MacDuff macrumors regular

Hey-
    Does anyone out there know if I have to buy iLife just so I can get the iDVD 3 upgrade? I'm using a powerbook with superdrive and I already have the other iapps - it's idvd 3 that i want.

Anyone know about a solution?

2. 000111one111000 macrumors regular

When you purchase iLife, all you're paying for is iDVD 3. All the other iApps are free. Apple includes them all on the same disc so you don't have to waste time downloading them from the net.

So no, there is no way you can get it without paying for iLife, since the price of iLife is ONLY for iDVD 3.

enoch

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Nope. You have to pay for iDVD (which is basically why there is a charge for iLife). The other apps are free, iDVD is not.

EDIT: Damn, there were no replies when I started to reply.

Lethal

4. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

It's soooooo easy, jsut buy a new Mac with a SuperDrive

5. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

Well i just bought a mac and i got 2 iLife disks, one for macs with superdrive and another for macs without superdrive...i don't have a superdrive thus i don't need that disk...i could sell it on i suppose.

6. MacDuff thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the info. this is what i thought but it's good to have it confirmed.

peace.

7. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

no, you cant. It is iLife and it is your copy. If you sell it you must sell the other disk aswell. The copy is what ever is in the box. 2 disks in the box ...

8. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

its his, he can sell whatever he wants. if he wants to sell 1 disc go for it. you wont be stopping him.

iJon

9. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

Its not illegel either is it? I'm not pirate but i'm not going to waste a perfectly good disk if i leave it here. If and when i do get a mac with a DVD burner i'll only get the disk again wouldn't I?

10. daniel77 macrumors 6502

well i better go cancel my bid on one shoe. dont want to do anything illegal now. :rolleyes:

11. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I think the point is that apple is only selling one software license for te bunch and they rely on the honesty of their customers unlike other corproations. I like to keep this trust simply so I don't have to VALIDATE my OS when I install or change hardware. seriously installing XP or OFfice XP is a pain due to the extra security. I liek the fact that most mac stuff isn't eve serialized.

12. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

No need to treat this as something stupid.

It's more important that Macintosh users follow the rules of owning and selling software. We don't have the luxury of massive numbers buying anything.

13. timbloom macrumors 6502a

timbloom

legally, if you sell the disk you must sell the license that came with it. If you still have that other disk, you are in fact using unlicenced software.

14. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

I'll buy it. Let me know.

Send me a email or PM

Doc

15. WannabeSQ macrumors 6502

If the guy selling the disc doesn't have a superdrive, and sells the iLife CD, then he is not using any unlicensed software as he can simply download the other 3 apps for free.

16. macphoria macrumors 6502a

macphoria

Why not just give it away as a gesture of goodwill among Mac enthusiasts? Just have someone send you prepaid envelope and give the disc away, especially if you are not using it.

As for the second disc, I really don't know what to say about it. I just think what Apple is doing with iLife package is dirty, since all you are paying for is iDVD 3. Apple does have right to do what it wants with their softwares. But "i" softwares are consumer grade softwares and something they use to attract customers.

They have DVD Studio Pro which they charge people large amount of money. Compared to DVD Studio Pro, iDVD is a stripped down version much like the comparison between Final Cut Pro and iMovie. They don't charge people for iMovie, but why with iDVD? Is it because people can choose to upgrade optical drive without going through Apple channel whereas Firewire, which iMovie relies on, is already built in? But then people have to buy DV cameras anyway to use iMovie. The whole charging people for iDVD issue really does not make much sense to me.

I just hope it is not prelude to what is to come, charging people for all future iApp upgrades, including iMovie, iTunes, iPhoto and etc.

17. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

If i got to sell both disks then i will, i don't want to pirate or be labelled as a pirate...since i don't use iDVD i might as well.

But when you install OSX does it contain itunes and the like but earlier versions?

18. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

Yep. They are preinstalled. I have an old version of iDVD 2, would like to teach the new version

Let me know if you want to sell iLife.

-Doc