can i get mac to boot under os 9

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by shalinks, Oct 1, 2003.

1. shalinks macrumors newbie

Hey people,

Is it possible to boot under classic mode when using an OS X installed computer. I can run the classic mode from within OS X. But is it possible to simply reboot in the classic mode or something similar.

Thanks

2. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

Sure!

Simply go to System Preferences and select Startup Disk. Select the OS 9 System folder and click Save and Restart.

You're in OS 9!

To go from OS 9 to X, click the Apple Menu -> Control Panels -> Startup Disk. Select the OS X System folder and click Restart/Save.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

New or old machine?

Basically the majority of the new DDR Macs, and the Rev B DDR PowerMac (and beyond) won't boot into OS 9.

4. shalinks thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot !!

No it is a powermac (6,1 i think ). Is that a problem

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

It was just the recent PowerMacs with FW800 that didn't boot OS 9 -- The Rev B MDD Machine and the G5.

So if it isn't made out of metal or include a vanity mirror, it should boot into OS 8-9.

The other Macs are losing OS 9 bootability as they switch to DDR chipsets. Which leaves the iBook and eMac as the current "new" OS 9 bootable machines. (edit - though Apple still sells a Rev A MDD machine)

6. shalinks thread starter macrumors newbie

ya i checked the info
    it has DDR RAM . So when i tried to do what tom suggested , i could not find os 9 in the start up disk. too bad i guess. Anyway i can have both running at the same time ???

7. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

As I understand it, the only way you can run OS 9 on the new DDR Macs is through Classic or by installing Yellow Dog Linux, starting from that partition and running OS 9 through Mac-on-Linux.

Short answer: if you really, really need to run OS 9-based applications, stick with the OS 9 bootable machines.

8. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

My bad! I didn't think about the new machines. D'oh!