Can I get Parallels Desktop cheaper than $79.99?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mitthrawnuruodo, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

My Parallels trial key is about to expire, and no matter how much I loath having anything Windows on my MacBook, it's better than having to maintain a dedicated PC just to check web pages in MSIE, so I need Parallels.

Boot Camp is not an option. At all.

So, anybody know anywhere to get a Parallels Desktop for Mac license cheaper than the $79.99 Parallels are charging on their pages?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. Mitthrawnuruodo thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Nice price, but just one minor problem: I'm not entirely sure mail-in rebates will work for overseas customer, and I know they don't work for downloadable software (and I need it to be downloadable, to avoid shipping and Norwegian customs fees and VAT). :(

4. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

I might go buy at this price, seems like the best price you will ever see it at. But, CompUSA is a long way from my house and I hate mail-in rebates....

5. Guy Incognito macrumors regular

Parallels offers a student discount, for what it's worth.

6. eyup macrumors regular

eyup

7. Mitthrawnuruodo thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Yeah... I saw that, I'm probably going to get me that (and another application that I've used a bit newer version than I actually have a license for... :eek:).

I'm going to talk to my main employer about this in a couple of hours, and if he doesn't order them for me I'll fork out myself... NOK 478 (382,50 + VAT) is just too good a price to miss...

:cool:

8. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

I used an obscure little web tool called "Google" to find Parallels for significantly less money than $79.99.

9. Mitthrawnuruodo thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Yes, but when you want a downloadable version, from an Norwegian address/debet card things start to get a bit more complicated than a Google search... :rolleyes:

Now if you showed me which Google search where you actually found this, or - even better - the resulting link, before I actually ordered it, that would have been been great...

Now, if I were a slightly ruder person I might have told you a direction and a possessive pronoun™

10. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

I tried finding the student discount but didn't see it on their website. Do you have to call them or something.

Nuc

11. guspub macrumors newbie

12. rick3000 macrumors 6502a

rick3000

It was $10 on Black Friday, so you maybe able to score a deal like that if you can wait. The student discount isn't a bad deal though.

13. Freyqq macrumors 68040

virtualbox = free :)

14. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

I think the OP got it already, the thread was from 2006...

15. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'm using Virtual Box on my Mac but more often on my AMD machine. Nested paging makes my VMs a lot more responsive. You need Nehalem for that on the Intel side.