Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

knux11

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2008
My current home media setup is as follows. I'll leave out any devices unnecessary for the purpose of this thread:

TV1:
Mac Mini (drobo connected)
PS3

TV2:
PS3

TV3:
PS3

All connected via wired ethernet with an airport extreme.

I also have 2 macbooks, connected wirelessly to the network. Of course they're not "always on" though.

The ONLY things I use the Mac Mini for is to stream movies to the PS3s, as well as printer sharing and Time Machine backups for the 3 computers. I have an old Imac I can use for printer sharing, and I can hook the Drobo up to the AEBS for time machine. I'm trying to see if I can eliminate the Mac Mini altogether without losing any capabilities; is there a way to get my movies to my PS3s without the Mac Mini?

Thoughts:

Can you stream movies from an AEBS connected hard drive to a PS3? Any way to use DLNA with an AEBS connected hard drive, or would I need to get a NAS for that with DLNA built in?

Would it be cumbersome to put my movies on hard drives and just attach them directly to the PS3s and play them like that? Streaming isn't a necessity; being able to watch downloaded movies on any TV is.

Your thoughts?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.