Can I get some advice: buying used pb 12" 1.5 Ghz

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ShovelHead84, Jun 10, 2006.

1. ShovelHead84 macrumors member

i need help before seeing the guy tomorrow Sunday 6/11 after 3 PM…

1.5GHz PowerPC G4, 512MB PC2700 (333MHz) DDR SDRAM, 12.1-inch (diagonal), 80GB Ultra ATA/100; 5400 rpm, 8x SuperDrive DVD±RW/CD-RW, NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 with 64MB of DDR SDRAM, Mini-DVI to DVI adapter, mini-DVI to VGA adapter, Built-in 54-Mbps AirPort Extreme; built-in Bluetooth 2.0+EDR, Built-in 10/100BASE-T ethernet, USB, Firewire. . .

the guy said that on the hard disk was: Flash 8, Dreamweaver 8, I Movie HD, Keynote, Photoshop and several others but he isnt sure if he has the original disks/cds… none of that is of much interest to me…

all i consider must have is the MacOS X cd's…

honestly he sounded pretty dippy but i explained that away 'cause he is a PC guy (i sound dippy myself and i'm not even a PC guy)…

film school student is selling… he bought with educational discount 900+ days left on
    AppleCare… will Apple transfer the AppleCare to a non-educational discount guy?

i talked to Apple Customer Service and they told me it wasnt stolen and that there was 3-year AppleCare and that there was 900+ days left (the seller wasnt aware of
    the AppleCare at all which made me nervous but it was obvious he didnt know diddly about Macs) and she told me how to get the AppleCare transferred… she knew it was purchased about 4 months ago with an educational discount…

the guy is a PC guy and i couldnt get much info from him over the phone: i dont know if MacOS X is 10.3 or 10.4: i dont guess that matters much… i think i plan to get 10.5 when available…

besides looking at and asking about bad pixels i dont know even what to look for ask about…

i dont know what i should be aware of look for that would make me not buy the computer…

the guy was advertising for sell for $1200 and i explained a few things to him about what you could buy for $1100 e.g.: a MB that was faster and more powerful and that anytime you were the unfortunate owner of a relatively new machine that was replaced with a more powerful and cheaper machine your machine's (resale) value drops precipitously (well i didnt use precipitously in a sentence 'cause i am not a pretentious kine guy and i didnt want to sound too ostentacious)…

the last figure he mentioned was $900… early on i told him i wanted to pay $500 or $600…
    my thinking is i might get it for $700 and i dont think i want to pay more than that…

but i want a 12" bad and i might pay even $900 if i have to… unless somebody here talks me out of that figure… (actually i was going to wait for the Rev.B black MB and the savings would be significant)

i tried to buy a pb 12" and pay with a credit card promo check that offered 6 months interest free that i got from my credit union and after telling me that they would accept the check after i tried to pay for the computer and AppleCare and a $100-off printer/fax/scanner and a sleeve the check authorizing service they subscribe to said they would not accept those kine credit card checks…

i went in the very next day with cash and they were off the shelf and off the Apple Store…

so i waited for the small MB that they told me was surely coming…

then i got scared to buy a Rev. A…

anyway i think i could be satisfied with a pb 12"… i am a writer and i just write and use the web for info kine stuff…

i have a condition that precludes game play and even streaming video (i get dizzy) so i dont think i need more than what the 1.5 Ghz 12" is…

i would like to maybe hook it up to a monitor if the pb 1.5 Ghz will allow that…

plus i will probably want to jack up the RAM to the max (1.25 G?) or maybe probably just add another 512 Mb… i mean i will pay somebody to do that… i am a clutz…

i am using a 1400c 166 with a broke hinge screen that might go dead anytime so time might be critical (the hinges have been broke for a while though)…

anyway i would appreciate any advice help direction i can get here…

thanks then…

2. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

well it is illegal for the person to sell you the computer

they are keeping the software on the HD which is extremely illegal

3. ShovelHead84 thread starter macrumors member

huh?

eva: why is it illegal for him to sell the computer?

also i question whether it is illegal for him to leave software on the computer…

i will admit that it is not legal for me to use it…

if i thought he could do it without doing some kine damage i would have asked him to take it off but i was nervous about that 'cause i know you CAN screw things up removing (application) software…

anyway thanks eva for your comments even though that is not the kine help i was asking for…

4. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

Morally you should reformat the computer, I wouldn't go to extreemly illegall however.

The 1.33's with worse specs are selling on ebay for about 700-800, the 1.5's look to be 900 to 1000. You better hope he doesn't do his research. The last G4's might become popular due to software incompatibility on the intel machines and it doesn't look like they're going down in price that much. Apple machines tend to keep their value fairly well.

Ben

5. ShovelHead84 thread starter macrumors member

thanks saab…

i didnt get into it 'cause i wanted to speak of things that were more important to me but my plan is to partition the hard drive and install MacOS X on a clean partition and use it before i removed EVERYTHING from the other partition with all of the seller's software and installed MacOS X there…

my thinking was i wanted to KEEP a version of the MacOS X that had not been adulterated by the things that i tend to put on the system…

please do not comment on the efficacy of that plan though i really want to speak of things that are more germane to the purchase of the pb…

the things you said about the value of the 12" pb was appreciated saab…