can I get some feedback?

Discussion in 'Community' started by _bnkr612, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Wow...if you got that professionally printed on some good paper, it would look wicked. Very minimalistic, not that I know anything about design. ;)

I just don't like the numbers you used. Example, you write "01.1 Experience", and "02.2 Education." Why? Why not "01. Experience" and "02. Education"??

Or why not "01.1 Experience" and "02.1 Education"?

And if you're going to list things under the Education heading, for example, you could use a numbering scheme like "02.1", "02.2", "02.3", etc....

2. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Very nice. What program did you do it in?

Only thing I would suggest is moving the type in the block where your name in contact info are just slightly to the right. It seems a little close to the edge which causes a tagent for me. Also where does the paper end/crop at (maybe you could post a version where we can see crop marks or a border if its going to be printed)? Vertically speaking, will it be cut at the edge of the square? If so, move the all the type over away from the edge. Have you tried making your name and info right justified on the right side? Might make it stand out a bit more. Otherwise nice look and feel overall. I like the color choices. Simpe. Elegant. :)

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Too many fonts & sizes. Try and restrict yourself to 2 fonts & 3 sizes.
    Change the Helvetica to the DIN which will improve the hierarchy and organisation.

Not entirely sure about the Garmond Italic for the Software bits...

Increase the space between the pale brown headings i.e. 'What I have done' and the following lines by 1-3pts possibly more...

4. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

I like the content, the colors and the general layout, but I also think there are too many fonts and I don't like the mix of serif and sans-serif fonts. I have no design education, though. The numbering scheme seems a bit strange to me, too.

5. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I like the overall look, although I agree with most of the other posters about the numbering business: it's not clear that the numbers add anything in terms of information content. I'm more used to looking at technical resumes (i.e. for software engineers and such) and so I'm a little put off by the "What I Have Done", "Where I Learned", etc. headings, but those may be entirely appropriate for the design industry.

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Another thing...

Make sure that the pale brown will print out on a B&W laser clearly.

If you send a PDF to anyone, they will prob. run it out on an office laser and you don't want any type or colour to drop out.

7. _bnkr612 thread starter macrumors 6502a

_bnkr612

Thanks for the responses! I am going to work at today. I will take all the advice...

I am using InDesign CS.

Cheers.

8. Deefuzz macrumors 6502a

Deefuzz

I like the design...very attractive looking.

I love the little categories you've made too: "Where I have learned" "What I have done" "What I have used"...I think that is a real neat idea.

I must concur with others though, the numbering kind of throws me a bit.

But overall, I like it...though I'm not an expert at resumes or anything :)

9. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I'd say it looks pretty good. However, since you're a recent graduate, I'd expect to see more about your education. What sort of courses did you take? Any clubs/teams/other activities? Also, with your work experience, you might also want to indicate what your most significant accomplishments were. What are you most proud of?

Also, I'd suggest changing the subtitles on sections 3 and 4:

"What I can do"
    "After I've done it"

In section 3, I'm not sure it makes sense to group software by manufacturer. Would be better to group by what they're used for, or your level of proficiency. You can probably leave the manufacturer out entirely.

10. _bnkr612 thread starter macrumors 6502a

_bnkr612

good call.

11. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Agreed, and I would also recommend trying to keep the the same fonts on the same lines, and not mixing too many different sizes within the same line. Keeping the lines steady with fonts and sizes will help it flow better. I'd also agree with BV regarding the italic line headings for the apps section - I would try some other options regarding staying with the same font, as noted before, and sticking with italics. The last thing I might comment on is the fact that it is all a bit pale, which is great for on screen reading, but will not come out well on a b/w laserprinter. They attempt to dither the sides, and make the text look pale and grainy. I would raise the black level in the text before distributing. Other than these nitty gritty little things, it's overall quite nice and professional - good clean look. :)

12. _bnkr612 thread starter macrumors 6502a

_bnkr612

Yea, I think I will create a laser printer friendly one as well, this is pdf obviously.

cv remix

13. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Quite a bit cleaner. Good work. :)

14. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

I like it, and you've already had a lot of good comments. This site is great, isn't it?!

I might just consider changing, 'Where I Learned' to 'Where I Studied'.

15. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

I agree with munkle, "Where I Studied" sounds better.

16. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I think the revision looks good, but there's just so much white space. I think you really need to wrack your brain to come up with some more accomplishments to fill that space. Some white space is good, but this just looks like you haven't done much.

17. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

I agree, it's good to keep it short and sweet but I think you should expand a tiny bit, give them concrete ideas of what you've accomplished*, so instead of thinking "this guy knows a lot of programs" they think "this guy could do this, this and this for us".

Also I'm not fond of "After I have used it", it doesn't flow well (as-in, it's hard to read) and while it may not technically be incorrect English, it...doesn't flow well. I'd be tempted to reword.

The whole theme is an original idea however, don't deviate too much from what you personally believe works and remember at the end of the day it's all just a matter of opinion. If you had a "textbook" CV layout you'd drop into the background.

Good luck.

AppleMatt
    * Like what your degree involved, what you did for freelance work and how it affected their company etc etc.