Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
would someone be so nice to convert a raster image to vector for me?
someone with access to CS2 that is. its a 544kb jpg.
if someone would be so helpful as to do this for me you can pm you email addy... or however you want to do this. i would appreciate it.

D0ct0rteeth

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2002
Franklin, TN
krossfyter said:
would someone be so nice to convert a raster image to vector for me?
someone with access to CS2 that is. its a 544kb jpg.
if someone would be so helpful as to do this for me you can pm you email addy... or however you want to do this. i would appreciate it.

Depending on the graphic it could quite possible that you'll have to recreate it.

Adone Streamline, or "Live trace" in Illustrator has its limitations.

- Doc

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
D0ct0rteeth said:
Depending on the graphic it could quite possible that you'll have to recreate it.

Adone Streamline, or "Live trace" in Illustrator has its limitations.

- Doc

yeh i know. but i want to see if i can get it done this way first before going that route. thnx man.

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
nah, im asking a stranger to use live trace in cs2 to vectorize my image... not manually trace it all out for me. im not sure how you got that from what i was saying. of course i wouldnt have a stranger do something so manually laborsome such as that. if a stranger is not able to easily use live trace on it and it ends up that i have to do it by hand... then ill do it by hand. but first before i go the route of tracing it myself which will take hours i want to see if it can be done automaticall with the click of a few buttons.

again.. not sure where you got the idea that i wanted the stranger to do all this manually intensive work.

thnx.

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
ah okay i see where u got that idea. i didnt indicate this:

that i dont have access to illustrator cs2 at the moment and ive been trying to get some freeware vector conversion programs to no avail.

its not so easy (to my understanding) doing vector conversion in illustrator cs.

Lebowski

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
krossfyter said:
ah okay i see where u got that idea. i didnt indicate this:

that i dont have access to illustrator cs2 at the moment and ive been trying to get some freeware vector conversion programs to no avail.

its not so easy (to my understanding) doing vector conversion in illustrator cs.

i am unaware of any vector "conversion" apps, especially free ones. look at it this way, vector is a fancy way of saying drawing on a computer, as apposed to your hand a pen and paper. sure you can get a machine to recreate a drawing, but is it gonna look how YOU want it?

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
Lebowski said:
i am unaware of any vector "conversion" apps, especially free ones. look at it this way, vector is a fancy way of saying drawing on a computer, as apposed to your hand a pen and paper. sure you can get a machine to recreate a drawing, but is it gonna look how YOU want it?

live trace is a useful tool

while it would take longer tweaking the setting of live trace than to do the whole thing by hand, to achieve a result you are 100% happy with, it does have its uses.

live trace is a good place to START tracing, as it has taken most of the hard work and simplified it into editable, moveable vectors.

that said, Live Trace is a relatively recent addition to illustrator.

was also included with Flash, but crippled compared to Illustrator's.

all in all, its always been a hand done thing, as ive yet to see a stand alone tracer.

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
ive used live trace on cs2 when i had acess to it and if i had access to it now im pretty sure it could do the job with the image i have. i dont need it perfect.

believe me if i had access to cs2 i could get this done without having to bother you all. it does an okay job and thats all i need right now. but if its too much to ask.. .hey no probs guys... ill find some way.. i hope. im not going to raise an issue about it. i realize im asking strangers to do this and i would only be so grateful and respectful if anyone tried to help me. if it didnt work out.. i wouldnt hold it against anyone. thnx you all.

Lebowski

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
Sdashiki said:
live trace is a useful tool

while it would take longer tweaking the setting of live trace than to do the whole thing by hand, to achieve a result you are 100% happy with, it does have its uses.

live trace is a good place to START tracing, as it has taken most of the hard work and simplified it into editable, moveable vectors.

that said, Live Trace is a relatively recent addition to illustrator.

was also included with Flash, but crippled compared to Illustrator's.

all in all, its always been a hand done thing, as ive yet to see a stand alone tracer.

actually livetrace is based off of adobe streamline, which is older than most of the posters here. its just recently been added to illustrator in response to complaints of the killing of streamline. and im not saying live trace isnt a great part of illustrator, i use it ALL the time.

the fact is, the OP doesnt have illustrator CS2, and is looking for a freeware app to do the same thing. im just stating i dont think thats available. For someone unexperienced in vector art, this small project could be very difficult. i am just stating that there is a certain "human" element needed to a point.

Lebowski

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
krossfyter said:
its not a photo image. 3-4 color logo type image. ill try and post it. thnx.

photo or not, if its raster, its raster... which means its pixel based, not math based as vector is.

its like when i tell clients to give me a high res tiff file, they just open a bad jpeg, and resave it as a tiff. that does nothing to help me. i might as well just have the original sh*tty jpeg.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
krossfyter said:
There is one (potrace) built into Inkscape. I don't know if I'd call it worse or better than Live Trace, but it's … different. It's really at its best when the original bitmap is in bad shape.

G.Kirby

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2005
Swansea, South Wales
If the logo is made of simple shapes you could go via Photoshop. Use the magic wand or make manual selections, convert these to paths then export these paths to illustrator. Depending on how well you can make your selections and the complexity of the image you are tracing you may have a great deal of success. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.