Can I get video into the camera using S-Video, then out ot the computer using Firewir

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by ravenvii, Sep 18, 2005.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Melenkurion Skyweir
    Can I? Because I need to record a movie from a DVD into my computer. It's a personal movie DVD, so no copy protection. I tried this with a PS2 - put the DVD in, hook the PS2 up to the cam via S-Video. The video displays on the cam's screen... excellent. But when I plug in the Firewire cable, the screen blanks out! Is it possible? If not, then what's the point of the S-Video input?
  2. supersize macrumors member

Nov 2, 2004
    I would think you could do it as long as your camera has an analog to digital converter feature. I don't know what kind of camera you have but my canon DV camcorder does and I know that most recent camcorders so. I have to turn the feature on each time I want to use it. I think it is in the VCR settings if that helps.

Good luck
  3. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

Jan 19, 2003
    London, England
    If you own the DVD the easiest way would be to rip it using Mactheripper and convert with something like Handbrake.

Most cameras support digital pass through, and you'll have to find a menu item in the camera's OS that'll turn the function on.

If your camera won't pass through, try recording the DVD onto a tape and capturing from there, but ripping would be your best bet.