Can I Go Back?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by ocellnuri, Sep 27, 2004.

1. ocellnuri macrumors regular

My Windows XP machine went down this morning. Loads of random program crashes, a blue screen, and a random reboot (no warning). I opened it up to remove a stick of RAM I thought may be bad, and upon reboot my video card fan started buzzing, so I'm sure it will go out soon.

So I don't want to run it until I have a new fan on the video card, and even then I have to troubleshoot my software problems in Windows. So in the meantime, I've got my Powerbook hooked up to everything, LCD, ethernet, and wireless mouse/keyboard. Unfortunately, one of my LCDs remain dormant as the Powerbook can only drive one.

So I'm sitting here working with OSX on this large 17" screen, which IS large compared to the 12" on the Powerbook, and I'm wondering if I'm going to be able to go back to XP as my desktop... This is spoiling me! I just had to share. I couldn't make the call whether this belonged in Community or not. If it does, I'm sorry and please move it.

[​IMG]

2. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

3. ocellnuri thread starter macrumors regular

It keeps it very cool. I had it shut in my desk drawer, but temps started getting a little high at just idle. I'm having so many problems with one machine, I'm a bit paranoid about this one. :)

4. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

you keep your deodorant at your computer desk?

5. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Standing anywhere near a constantly running PowerBook will make you sweat! :D

6. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

I second that. I'm afraid for your PB... The cords going into the drawer add to my fear. Please protect it!

7. ocellnuri thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, it's on my room-mate's desk... didn't notice that it had snuck into the frame.

8. ocellnuri thread starter macrumors regular

The cords are going into the drawer so I can run it in my drawer closed as well. It's actually nice to be able to put it away and get my desk clean without having to unhook anything.

Of course, this setup is hopefully just for a couple of days.

As for standing it up like an A, anyone with a powerbook should try it out. It lets cool air enter at the bottom and flow up through the unit, aided by the fans, and out the back at the hinge.

9. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

hehe I keep my deoderant and my aftershave on my computer desk (because its in my bedroom).

I also have the same keyboard...nice, isnt it?

10. ocellnuri thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I love it. I've had a hard drive adjusting from Windows shortcuts to OSX shortcuts. When it's on the laptop keyboard, I can change my habits, but now that it's the same keyboard I use for Windows... it messes with me a little.

I'm generally happy with the Logitech software for the mouse and keyboard. It feels very finished and solid.

11. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

That looks like a standard issue desk and bookshelf at Duke.

12. denm316 macrumors 6502

that dont look like an iPod on that desk...lol

13. ocellnuri thread starter macrumors regular

Darn straight. :p :D

14. ocellnuri thread starter macrumors regular

Pretty close, NCSU here.

15. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

That was my thought upon seeing that pic. Solves the heat problem very nicely.

As for going back to Windows XP.....I spent the better part of a week having to look at XP, and it was a relief just to get back to Windows 2000, much less OS X. :p

16. ocellnuri thread starter macrumors regular

Well you'd have to work hard to recognize mine as XP if you saw it. At least aesthetically. :D

Functionality wise, it's still annoying to no end.

17. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

What kinda PC you got there? Retail or DIY? Specs?

18. ocellnuri thread starter macrumors regular

DIY:
    MSI mobo (I can't remember the exact specs or model number)
    P4 2.4gighz 533fsb
    1gig PC2100 DDR RAM
    120 + 160gig HD
    TDK DVD+-RW
    ATI 9600 Pro 128meg (Fan crapped out this morning :mad:)
    AVerTV Studio TV card
    Antec Sonata Case with 380watt PSU

I've got a Zalman flower cooler on the cpu, coupled with the 120mm fans and "Smartpower" PSU of the Sonata, the system is silent.

Displays are a 17" Samsung 174V and a 17" Samsung 172N

The motherboard and cpu are coming up on 2 years old and are starting to show their age. I'm trying to wait until PCI express and BTX come out and mature a little before I invest in a complete rebuild.

19. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-ocellnuri

I see a Nostromo n52 peeking out from behind the PB! Halo?

20. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

Looks like that system needs a fresh OS reinstall. I Ghost the fresh install on a separate HD, so it's real easy to get it up and running again when shed happens to the OS.

21. ocellnuri thread starter macrumors regular

Patrick- Yes, that is indeed a n52. Pretty amazing eye you have there. I haven't used it much though... I stuck to the keyboard for Doom3. I might set it up for the Tribes 3 beta though.

I was thinking a fresh OS would be the only fix as well... but now that I know my fan was bad, I know my video card has been overheating. I'm thinking that my programs were crashing when they were getting errors from the display drivers due to the card being flakey at full temperature. I've underclocked the card for now but I'm still not using the computer and I'll be on the phone with ATI tomorrow evening.

Has anyone dealt with ATI regarding RMA's? Think there's anyway I could just get credit toward another card?

22. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

Can't be a 233fsb... They didn't make P4's with that slow of a bus. It must be 400, 533, or 800.

23. ocellnuri thread starter macrumors regular

Actually I did some digging and it looks like it's 533mhz. Probably where I was getting 233 from. It was built so long ago...

Thanks for the correction.

Looks like we have pretty simmilar setups, both in our desktops and our Powerbooks. Actually, our Powerbooks are identical spec-wise. I'm going to do my best to replace my 9600 Pro with a 9800 Pro AIW in the desktop.

24. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Can you please move the PB away from the edge of your desk? Its scaring the bejeebers out of me, or its at least making me a bit nervous. :eek:

Isn't the PB getting scratched up around the top of the display if you keep your PB in that position?

25. ocellnuri thread starter macrumors regular

It's not getting scratched. The only parts touching the desk are the plastic linings that sit around the edges of the Powerbook. And even then, it doesn't move while it's sitting there. I pick it up off the surface before I move it.

If I'm gone from the room, it goes in the drawer. Trust me, I wouldn't do anything with my Powerbook that I didn't know was 100% safe. There's no tension on those wires, and my room mate knows to keep away from my desk, else he wants to be buying some of my equipment. :)