Can I have a Video library streaming from XP?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by d_saum, Dec 24, 2006.

1. d_saum macrumors 6502

d_saum

First of all... Merry Christmas! :D

Ok... now for the questions. I just bought a house and want to wire it up so that I can stream video from my xp box (I know I know.... but it has about 660 GB of storage) to my macs and tv. How do I set that up so that my old g3 power mac can stream the video over? Im also going to upgrade the video card so I can get front row working and have svideo out. Now... I know this isn't possible (or at least not easy) but is there a way to get the files on the xp box to show up in front row?

For Bonus points.... I've ripped a bunch of movies and have a huge library that was purchased legally. Whats the best way to store them on an xp box so that osx will see and play them? I know on the mac, handbrake is supposed to be good, but what about for Win?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Merry Christmahannukwanzacas!!!

2. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

Windows File Sharing??

For the record, Merry Non Denominational Holiday Season is the way the cools kids are whishing everying a Merry Christmas this year.

3. alexstein macrumors 6502a

alexstein

one easy way to make it show up in front row is.

make aliases and drop them into your movies folder.

Before you do this you have to set up a network. There is a great link floating around here written by edisgnuk.

4. d_saum thread starter macrumors 6502

d_saum

Yeah, I have that part.... but I want to know how to stream good quality video over so that it'll show up in front row, and what is the best file format or method to rip dvd's to the xp box for streaming? Thanks for your help!

5. d_saum thread starter macrumors 6502

d_saum

Yeah.. hey Im sorry.. I should've been more clear. I know how to network them, Im just not sure about what format to rip the dvd's into, and what front row will see. I think I can figure out the alias part (although... I might be back asking for help with that too! lol) Thanks again for your help!