can i have an active game life with a mac?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Cham, Jan 19, 2004.

1. Cham macrumors newbie

Jan 10, 2004
    ok, so since you all know so much about this stuff, maybe someone could give me the low-down on how i can get optimum gaming pleasure on my mac, since i'm not very contented with the selection at my local mac store....maybe an emulator of some sort? but i'm afraid of emulators...never have owned one. so i'm all ears if any of you have some extra time (neo).
  2. idkew macrumors 68020

Sep 26, 2001
    where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    Virtual PC, VPC, will NOT make your mac a pc. You want to play games? But a $700 pc, or a $100 gamecube, xbox, ps2...

What I am trying to get at, for the most performance for the buck, buy a console system. For the best possible system, buy an alienware box, and for the next two months, you will have the best; but after that, and your $3,000 gone, you will be behind, and have wasted a lot of money.

my moral: buy a console. it will last you longer.
  3. Sol macrumors 68000

Jan 14, 2003
    Some hints

Emulators are fine if you want to satisfy your nostalgia, however tracking down the ROMs on the internet takes skill and know-how.

And just what leaves you uncontended about the Mac games catalogue? Every game genre seems to be covered and we are getting big new releases every month.

I hope you are not one of those people that just has to have the latest and greatest all the time. Windows has that market to itself and we Mac users are better for it. After all the majority of Windows games just copy what came before and are not much fun to play. Mac games on the other hand are the cream of the crop and so the average Mac game is better value than the average Windows game.

Now, the best way to play games on your Mac, whatever it is, would be to buy yourself a great two-button mouse with a scroll-wheel. This is the most versatile peripheral that you would ever use to play games and console players would envy your speed and accuracy.

Since you are on a computer you should find a game that can be played online with your friends. If they are using Windows find out what games allow you to play with them. Three 1st-person-shooters that can do this are Aliens Vs Predator 2, Unreal Tournament 2003 and Halo. For playing with other Mac users, download a copy of GameRanger from

Finally, keep your games current with patches from the following URL.

Most computer games are not completely optimised out of the box and operating system updates sometimes require individual applications to be updated for compatibility. I am sure that AVP2 players who upgraded to OS X 10.3 would agree with me.
  4. kettle macrumors 65816

May 12, 2002
    England, Great Britain (Airstrip One)
    Quake III Arena is my favourite. Rationable portions of enjoyment with the bonus of instant bloody gore satisfaction.

It depends what you call an active game life, some people may have a top of the line P.C. and rule on line gaming, but still have great difficulty with the actual point of having fun. If you are a "PRO" gamer, then don't waste anymore time reading this, time is money and you'd better get back to your job.

I say If you are buying a Mac just to play games you are mad. If you buy a Mac instead of a P.C. you will find the mac experience will out weigh any lack you find in P.C. gaming.:)
  5. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    macs and gaming. put it this way, if you wanna buy a mac to game, ur doing the wrong thing, if u wanna buy a mac and game you can. but gaming is not its forte
  6. cubist macrumors 68020

Jul 4, 2002
    Muncie, Indiana
    Guys, he already has a Mac. He's not satisfied with the selection at the store.

Inside Mac Games is a good place to look for reviews.

I'm hoping for Rise of Nations and Railroad Tycoon III to show up on the Mac soon. Right now, I play some Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds. I'm a strategy player, but I didn't care for Warcraft III. Master of Orion III was terrible. Civilization III is good, but takes eons to play.

Racing games are not good on the Mac. FTM, the only good ones on the PC are the Need for Speed series, IMHO; the rest are not very realistic.

If FPS games are your thing, there are gobs of them. Don't forget to consider America's Army.
  7. Shekky_ca macrumors newbie

Oct 15, 2003
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    My Gaming Experience is too find a game that just gets you addicted and you can't seem to stop playing...

I Got my iMac when it first came out and it was wicked **** blah blah blah

Anyway I bought quake a few years earlier and could barely run it on my old 5600

It's been like 8 years since it's initial release and I just love the game as much as the day I first got it...

I'm Oldschool if you didn't know :D
  8. TEG macrumors 604

Jan 21, 2002
    Langley, Washington
    The best place to find Mac games is online. Many stores, like Fry's, CompUSA, etc. sell Mac Games on-line, with a larger selection than what is in the store. They do this to reduce overhead, so rather than buying 1000 games that no-one wants, they wait for an order online and then buy it from their suppliers. Check out online stores, that will be your best bet.

BTW: The Mac is awesome for Gaming, its finding the games that is hard.

9. Torajima macrumors regular

Jan 6, 2004
    Re: can i have an active game life with a mac?

I'm more of a console gamer myself, so about the only computer gaming I do is emulation of classic game systems.

Emulators can be found at:

Roms can be found on usenet. Note that it is technically illegal to possess roms for games you don't already own (though there are a few roms in the public domain)
  10. Cham thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 10, 2004
    thanks for tips - Stony Brook?

thanks for all the replies, yeah i have almost all consoles (gotta get a cheap!) so i guess i'll stick to that. and btw - i'm a girl, cubist. SHE doesn't like the selection at the store :) oh yeah and does anyone here attend Stony Brook University in LI, New York?
  11. AkiraK macrumors member

Nov 16, 2003
    Re: Some hints

That would be a requirement even for non-gaming. Why Jobs won't get up off a 2-button scroll wheel mouse is beyond me. But that's a whole 'nother issue.

I would actually recommend a five-button scroll wheel mouse to FPS players. The addtional side buttons are extremely useful. That is assuming that the Nostromo N-50 is not Mac-compatible...
  12. yamabushi macrumors 65816

Oct 6, 2003
    I also would suggest searching online for good games to buy. However, I think you should first try to order them through a willing local retail store. This will encourage them to expand their selection in the future.
  13. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Every blizzard game has kept me busy for the past 9 years of my Mac gaming experience life!! I played Starcraft on a 100mhz Performa, now that was interesting!
    I still play starcraft and warcraft all the time on my 700mhz iMac.
  14. Nik_Doof macrumors regular

Sep 15, 2003
    St Helens, UK
    Macs do have a good selection of games, but usually there dogged with late releases....say like 6 months to a year later than its PC version...

Hence why i've still got this PC lump of rubbish around, just to play some games i like :)
  15. 7on macrumors 601

Nov 9, 2003
    Dress Rosa
    I've been getting into the metal of honor spearhead demo recently. It's very Half-Life/Counter-Strike-esque in my opinion. I guess it's just all the PCers playing CS that makes me fire up the Spearhead Demo everynow and then.

Emulators are awesome! Don't know where to find good ROMS today, but back in JR. High I was the ROM King. Still have all my ROMs too, I even brought my CD of them to school when my house burned down. Twas the only thing that was saved ;P
  16. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

Dec 3, 2003
    Southeastern Louisiana
    The Spearhead demo is great, and I even play it for hours on end even though it's just a demo. I'd buy the full version of MOHAA but it's still $50.

I want Q3, but I can't find it anywheres but online, and I just ordered a bunch of stuff online and don't think I can get anything else anytime soon. Why the heck isn't Q3 easier to find in stores? I just wish UT, which I recently purchased, would work perfectly.

I reccomend Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast. It's a fun, story-driven game and the specs aren't TOO demanding.
  17. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    Aspyr has a number of games available inexpensively online, as well as new releases, which aren't so inexpensive. Star Trek: Elite Force and its expansion pack are quite good for a FPS. It offers both a story in the single player version and a free for all in the multiple player version. There's also a sequel available.

I mostly play FPSes but there are a number of card and board games available in shareware/freeware that don't involve shooting anything that you might like too. Pangea Software has some cutesy 3d platforms that are quite interesting.
  18. linky macrumors newbie

Jan 16, 2004
    Re: thanks for tips - Stony Brook?

I dont attend stony brook but i love WUSB (the campus radio station) :D

19. LoadRunner macrumors member

Dec 20, 2003
    Manhaton Beach California
    Q3A is easy to find. Its the mac box that's hard to find, but you do not need the mac version. Any version of q3a will work. It turns out you have to manually install q3a no matter witch disk you use. Why spend 40 for the mac box, when you can pick up the linux box for ten dollars, or the quake gold pack witch comes with q1 q2 q3 and the expansion for 35.

I always use to think there weren't that many game for the mac, but this last year after perchusing 50 games. I've relised just how untrue this is. Shure it dosen't have every pc game that popular for the day, but the mac dose have alot of games.

Most important quake 3 arena, wolfinstine, jedi knight, oni, sofv II, halo. We do not have counter strike, that is a shame, but there are two good mods for q3a that are just as good: navy seals cover ops, and erbon terror.:) Every one wil enjoy Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy. q3a if you can get past the learning cervs an amazingly addictive/cometttive/fun game. Oh in then there is cube a free fps.

Also sim city 4000, the sims with all the mods, Abroshia software: aki, nova, pop pop, Uplink Bubble Trouble, Deimos Rising, Pillars of Garendall, Ferazel's Wand, mar risings, avara, harry, Slithereens, swoop , barricks, ares, Apeiron. malstrom, Cythera, Chiral, Escape Velocity.

For rpgs fallout 2, another wars, shadowbane, black and white, clan loards,ever quest with it's own server. But if you want an online rpg i'd hold out for World of Warcraft. Unfochently that won't be out for a till blizzards finish it.

you might find .
  20. bannedagain macrumors member

Jan 20, 2004
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Re: can i have an active game life with a mac?

That's a shame since all DirectX game code is emulated in OpenGL (I think) on the mac platform. Since DirectX isn't avalible on the apple OS
  21. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    They usually (always?) replace the DirectX code with OpenGL, rather than emulate it.