Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

desertman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Arizona, USA
Hello Forum,

Can I have permanent write/move/delete rights in my Applications folder and all its files and folders and sub-folders without having to log in as root? Right now I don't when being logged in (as admin user). Some files and folders can be renamed or moved or deleted, others not - and this applies not only to Apple applications but can also be so for folders and sub-folders that I myself created. It also happens that I give 777 rights to a certain (non-Apple) folder only to find the rights again restricted some time later.

One example: I want to be able to move iTunes from Applications to a folder within Applications on my choice. I want to have my applications organized according to my linkings and needs - and iTunes works perfectly fine when moved to a different folder. And if this would ever create a problem I would be absolutely willing to take all responsibility for it.

Is there a way to give me (as admin user) permanent unrestricted rights over the Applications folder and all it's content? Like it was in the good old days?

Greetings - desertman

PS: I would be grateful if this thread would not turn into a discussion about Apple's good intentions and the need to protect me from myself. I don't want and don't need this kind of protection. Thanks.

Last edited:

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
1. You shouldn't need to "log in as root" to write files in the /Applications folder. Normally, an admin user should be able to write to that folder. You may have to authorise certain actions with an admin user name and password, but that's not "logging in as root".

2. Moving applications from their expected locations has one problem: updaters often can't find them. Apple system updaters expect apps to be in /Applications, and they won't get updated if they are somewhere else.
If you want to organise your apps, it's better to use another folder holding aliases to the apps.

3. You may want to read up on ACLs. There may be an ACL on the Applications folder preventing delete without authorisation.

4. If you truly want (without speaking of whether you need to) total control over all your files, then you should indeed enable the root user and log in with that. Then every part of the system will be wide open.

Last edited:

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA
2. Moving applications from their expected locations has one problem: updaters often can't find them. Apple system updaters expect apps to be in /Applications, and they won't get updated if they are somewhere else.
If you want to organize your apps, it's better to use another folder holding aliases to the apps.

I second this option. It's really the best solution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.