can i hook game cube up to apple display?

Discussion in 'Games' started by ijimk, Sep 26, 2004.

1. ijimk macrumors 6502a

ijimk

just wanted to know easiest cheapest way to do this(hook my gamecube up to my computer) so i can play on my new display. my cpu is in my signiture. I have the ati 9600 128 mb version video card. how would i go about this??? :confused:

2. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

This question has come up numerous times. Ever heard of searching?

EDIT: ok maybe some of the treads have been dumped already but no ther is no *good* way to hook up your display to a gamecube.

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Remember that most of the existing threads will probably be for the ADC displays. In this case the display matches the G5 so will be DVI.

4. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

If you can get the GameCube to output DVI, then you probably could connect it directly or through a KVM switch. Otherwise, you'd have to use a PCI/FireWire bridge/capture device.

5. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

too confusing just buy a tv. then you can surf the web and play at the same time ;)

6. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Why not buy an all-in-wonder card from ATI. ATI is the best for one, and secondly that allows you to use a section of your screen (in a window of course) to watch tv or whatever, just hook up your gc and there ya go.

7. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

In theory it could work

In game importer shops you can find GameCube VGA adaptors. these will plug into the digital AV port of the GC and output a VGA signal. If you can find a VGA to DVI adaptor you could plug the GC VGA adaptor to it and use the 20 " Apple Display for playing the console. If the display does not support 640 by 480 resolution it might not work.

I would recommend that you purchase a CRT display and use that for the GC. It could also be plugged into the PowerMac and display a second desktop space.

8. munchmime macrumors member

hmmm...

So in theory, would it work to take my old imac I gave to my sister, and make it go like this: vga to dvi then dvi to adc to give it an extended desktop?

Always wondered, never wanted to spend the money on adapters, to find out it doesn't work. And since my sister doesn't do anything that uses too much screen space, it's not like she needs it either.

9. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

One drawback is that for the "true" VGA cables to work, the games have to support progressive scan. All (well, all that I know of) 1st party Nintendo games do, but a lot of other games don't. This isn't a problem for me since I only play Nintendo made games on my cube... but the Nintendo "dashboard" that has the memory card settings when you turn it on without a disc does not support progressive scan! Here is a good site to see which games support progressive scan:
    http://www.hdtvarcade.com/gamecubelist.htm

You can also check IGN.com for game reviews, and click on tech specs to see if 480p is listed as a feature.

These cables are pretty expensive, around $65 shipped to the US.

I got mine from here:
    http://www.goldenshop.com.hk/AI-trad/gc/vgacable.htm
    My first cable was defective, so it was pretty expensive to ship it back overseas to get a replacement.

Also, the 20" Cinema Display doesn't support 640x480 (according to Apple tech specs), so there is about a 1% chance of it working...

Edit- and one final note, newer gamecubes don't have the digital A/V port, so it's not possible to use a "true" VGA cable or the progressive scan component cables. Supposively if you contact Nintendo, they'll replace the gamecube for you with an older refurbished one.

10. benpatient macrumors 68000

AAAAAAND, even if you do get 640x480 (max gamecube resolution) working on the Cinema, you'll still have the most painfully blurry experience in the world. The colors tend to wash out on CinDisplays when not running in native resolution, too.

In short, it isn't worth it. Your Cin Display will look about the same or worse than a mid-priced TV...if you really want to do this, get one of those LCD TV/monitors with a really high resolution. The brightness and contrast are usually pretty great, but the resolution will be lower than the Cin Display, and it won't be possible to really calibrate it if you need accurate colors for print or something, but you won't need an adapter and you won't have to deal with the poor low-res emulation of the Cin Display, because LCD TV/Monitors are built with this use in mind, and they do a better job showing both ends of things pretty well. You won't get Aquos LCD TV quality, and you won't get Apple LCD Monitor quality, but you'll get something that both formats look considerably better in when you consider everything together.

Or just play your low-res console on a low-res TV and leave the monitor out of it.