can I import clips from a dvd to iDVD or iMovie

Discussion in 'macOS' started by fjs08, Dec 31, 2005.

1. fjs08 macrumors 65816

Hi,
    I have a DVD of my kids when they were little. I want to create clips of them and import them into either iMovie or iDVD and ultimately make one long DVD of the clips. Can I do this?? If so, what is the procedure?

Thanks.

Frank

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

A previous thread on this topic.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=166874

Simple answer is no, though there are third party applications that can fill the gap. You could also use another DVD authoring progam like Toast and/or Popcorn to achieve you desired goal.

B

3. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

>>You could also use another DVD authoring progam like Toast and/or Popcorn to achieve you desired goal.<,

Is it a pretty simple task to do?? I've created a bunch of clips on my DVD Player for each DVD. I'd like to import them into a program and put them together. Is Toast as simple as above, or am I being to naive here??

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Sorry, I can't directly comment on Toast as I have only used it for simple stuff, and don't own a copy myself. My DVD authoring experience comes mainly from the Windows side of things.

There, most DVD apps will allow you to burn multiple "clips" as either separate titles or chapters of the same title. If the clips are already in a DVD compatible MPEG2 format, they will just be multiplexed to VOB and burned as is, otherwise they will be encoded at the same time.

So it should be simple.

Popcorn only comes in if the clips you want to add to your DVD compilation end up being larger than your DVD media (single layer or double layer), and thus need to lower the bitrate a bit.

B