Can I input VHS into I movie?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by fyrmedic, Feb 2, 2007.

1. fyrmedic macrumors member

I so some teaching an right now I use various VHS tapes for my AV. I would like to import the clips into my computer and make a DVD if that is possible. I have a power PC G5 dual 2.3 Ghz. can anyone tell if this is possible without purchasing a bunch of expensive equipment

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

3. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

dolphin842

I have a Canopus ADVC-55 DV bridge and it works great for VHS capture. It's ~$200.

4. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

You might see if there are any firewire DV camcorders available for you to borrow. You can typically use them as a digital passthrough for VHS->iMovie.

5. Gaelic1 macrumors member

I have a Sony camcorder. I just ran the VHS tape through the camcorder into my Mac with no problems. I coverted my entire library of old movies into dvds and it was easy. Good luck.:)

6. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

If you don't already have a DV Camcorder that you can use as a digital passthrough you can always find a broken one on eBay that has the tape drive broken. That way everything else still works yet makes the camcorder useless (and cheap) for everything but using it as a digital passthrough. Just a thought.

7. dukeman macrumors member

I just went through having this problem. The best solution was to wonder down to the apple store or your favorite online retailer and buy the Canopus or pinnicle box. Almost none of the new DV camcorders in the 200-400 price range include digital pass through anymore, which is very sad and very costly (to pay the restock fee on bad advice from circuit city idiots) So do lots of homework or buy the box. Other alternative is look for some of the older canon zr 100, 80 etc they work great and can be found cheap.

8. fyrmedic thread starter macrumors member

thanks

Thanks for all the help. I have a dv camcorder I will check the manual to see if I can do this.

9. OldSkoolNJ macrumors 6502

OldSkoolNJ

There is also a box from ADSTech called PyroAV. This can be picked up for about $200 normal retail at CompUSA but it also regularly goes on sale for less at CompUSA also. It is a firewire av converter and will import into iMovie and FInal Cuts. Works great!

Kevin