can i install on an existing partition?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by uhlawboi80, Nov 19, 2003.

1. uhlawboi80 macrumors 6502

here is my question: i have panther but as of yet have not installed it. i have jaguar on one partition and almost all of my files/programs on a seperate partition. Can i erase the jaguar partition and install panther over it without haveing to erase my other partition? or even if i can, will panther still recognize the partition will all my files and let me access it or was there some change in the file ssytem that would require me to just back up alllll of those files then re-install them??

oh, and if id need to do anything special to install in this manner feel free to tell me what it is ;)

THANX!

2. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

yeah, you should be able to do that.

i used to have my apps on a seperate partition for that same purpose, so i didn't have to re-install them if i had to re-install the OS. now i've gone and made the mistake of putting all my apps on my Panther boot volume. :(

i'm guessing that you will stil be able to use your apps that are on the second partition. but just make sure that when you're installing Panther, check exactly what partiton it wants to erase & install on. ;)