Can I install Panther that came with iBook on my G3?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Bboy, Mar 21, 2004.

1. Bboy macrumors newbie

Mar 21, 2004
    Hey all,

I just purchased a beautiful new G4 iBook with OS 10.3.2. Whole new world and I love it! I still own an iMac G3 (I know that it is compatible with Panther), but am wondering if I can use the 3-disk OSX that came with the iBook to install OSX on the iMac? I want to work in OSX in both machines because it is such an awesome OS.

Thanks for any help.
  2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    technically you are supposed to pay for another license ie buy panther for your iMac
  3. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Jul 6, 2003
    Los Angeles
    It can't hurt to try, but every time I've put software restore disks into a computer other than the one they came with, they didn't work.
  4. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Dec 26, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM
    Duff-Man says....If the 3 disks you are talking about say "Mac OS X Panther" on them (as oppsed to "Software Restore" or something like that) then they will in all likelihood install on your old iMac G3. However, one of the previous posters is very correct in saying you are *not* licensed to do this. While some software license agreements do allow for more than one install - MS Office comes to mind, it lets you install on your desktop and your laptop as long as you are the primary user of both computers - OS X is a *single computer* license. while it does not help at this point, should you upgrade to a newer version of OS X later Apple normally offers the "family pack" license which allows for installing on up to 5 computers in the same household (see Apple for details) for less than what 2 copies of OS X would sell for....a great bargain that I have taken advantage of for my 10.2 and 10.3 purchases. Now, I don't want to pick on you or start another long debate about piracy, but sometimes I am really astonished at what little regard people have for the agreements on the software they have. Apple is pretty tolerant about it so far but I think they may have limits and if they see it getting really out of hand we could eventually see an "XP" type of authentication install....heaven forbid that......oh yeah!
  5. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    The CDs that came with my iBook G3 were labelled as "iBook", but were actually fully-functional CDs that worked on any model. Basically, try booting off the CD and read the readme that appears, look in the "System Requirements" section to see whether they'll install anywhere.