Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Howiieque

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 1, 2009
hi
i used the disk utility to restore the mac os x disc into a partition, from which i booted my mac and used it to install the system.
but the disc is 10.5.0. so every time i finish installing, i have to update.
is there a way that i can integrate 10.5.7 into it?
the system sold in the retail store is already 10.5.7, i wonder how to make it?
although the 10.5.7 package can be choose to install in that partition, it will freeze while the process. can i do it this way?
if i can integrate it to the latest version, it will save me a lot of time.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
You can make a new install, update it all the way with a generic account / password. Then clone that.

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
There is, I did it back when I worked for an Apple Service department. It involved putting the 10.5.7 combo updater in the packages install file on the OS X install partition on the HD you're installing off of.

I'm not sure of the specifics because I forgot, but it's definitely doable. Try messing around on an unimportant install.

chaos86

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2003
They periodically make a new golden master to ship with new machines. I think new machines nowadays are shipping with a 10.5.6 DVD. Since you do own a license for the software, if I were you, I'd just download a newer install disc from a torrent.

Of course, when you burn your own Mac OS X install DVD you can't emulate apple's magical data ordering ninja skills, which makes the drive jump back and forth for like 20 minutes reading the disc before you even get to the install screen. At this point you might as well just take the time to download the combo updater.

Maybe you can keep a copy of the combo updater on another disc and skip the download from now on. It's here

Howiieque

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 1, 2009
thanks for your reply
it seems that the chances are remote
i thought that it would be like windows. i can integrate sp2 or sp3 into the disc without it
i put the installation image of mac os x into a flash drive once, and it take me fewer time than put the image into a partition on hdd. so if i can combine 10.5.7, i will buy a 16g flash drive, or else i just buy a 8g one.
the read speed of that flash drive is fantastically at around 30mb/s. the whole process it takes is less than 10mins.
thank you again. i am going to buy a 8g flash drive.:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.