can i join two partitions to make one?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by cb911, Mar 1, 2004.

1. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

well i only make my startup partiton 8GB... and now it's only got about 1GB free and i keep getting 'disk full' warnings. so i thought i could join my scratch partiton with my startup partiton to get some more space for Panther.

in Disk Utility i've got the Panther partiton, then my scratch partiton, and last on the list is my documents/storage partition. i just wanted to ask... is there any way i can join those two partitons without doing any damage to my documents partition?

hopefully someone out there knows what Disk Utility is capable of more than me. or is there another utility that would allow me to do this?

thanks for any help. :)

2. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

Afraid not. When repartitioning happens, you have to replace quite a bit of the structure and afaik Disk Utility can't do that while retaining the third partition. Regardless you probably want to do a backup anyway. Also you could try adding a second drive and using one as your OS drive and another your application drive. Or use a smaller drive as a backup drive.

3. cb911 thread starter macrumors 601

cb911

hhmmm... that seems odd that i wouldn't be able to do that? yet i can erase individual partitions... but then i can't format then into a single partition?

are there any other partitoning utilities out there that would allow me to do that? what if i booted into Gentoo and used something like mac f-disk? there has to be something that will do that? :confused:

4. UKMacBod macrumors member

Indeed... On Windows Partition Magic works well at joining partitions on the fly, is there really no Mac app that can do the same?

If not, the only option I can see is what others have already stated here: backup and reformat as one partition...

5. jbrown macrumors 6502a

jbrown

6. ebuddy889 macrumors newbie

Me Too

OK with that I have another concern with space on the first partion in OS X. With the Apache web server serving pages from users/username/sites all you can do is sever up to 8 gigs of pages minus the space already taken up by Mac OS X? This is fine but I have decided to serve pages with video content which eats up the remaining space real fast. There must be a way to either serve from another partion or make the Mac OS X Partion bigger than 8 gigs.

7. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

i do some apache work and if the apache is configered correct you can put an alias in your normal web server user folder that links to another folder and this might make the folder linked to global.

8. ebuddy889 macrumors newbie

Any idea how to do acomplish that?