Can i just connect my old P.C (Windows XP) & transfer data (files) over to my imac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by golfingnut, Nov 12, 2006.

1. golfingnut macrumors newbie

Hi
    I am very new to this mac thingy & would definately appreciate some advice on some basics.
    So far i have found loads of useful info already on the web site, BIG THANKS TO ALL & the hosts too.
    Here is the problem ;

I want to transfer some data/files (like mp3's & loads more from my old unit (windows XP) straight onto my new iMac.
    Other than transfering all onto a external drive & then plugging that into my mac, can i just plug a USB lead from one p.c to another & transfer that way?

Any help with this would be most appreciated

2. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Not USB, but you can plug an ethernet cable from one to the other, configure a LAN, enable sharing and then transfer files.

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

4. golfingnut thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow - Thanks gr8tfly & gekko513 to you both, thats already been a huge help. Question is? what option do i take.

Thanks again guys

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Just using an ethernet cable would be the simplest.

6. mckvakk macrumors regular

when i transferred files from my mini to my macbook i started the macbook in target disk mode which made the macbook come up as an external firewire disk on the mini, don't know how this would work with a pc since most pc's doesn't have firewire and the file system is different.

7. MikeTheC Guest

MikeTheC

Gallifrey -- Capitol City, Prydonian Sector
    It won't be useful at all, unfortunately, as a Mac's system drive is formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled), and Windows doesn't support file systems other than FAT16, FAT32, NTFS, and maybe a few other arcane Microsoft formats.

Yes, theoretically, you could do this and the drive would become available for the PC to do something with. But without proper support in your operating system, it's little more than a doily on a bowling ball.