Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Palad1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 24, 2004
London, UK
Hello,

Is there any problem in letting a powerbook turned on 24/7, or will it start overheating / cracking ?

Intended usage: webserver / freenet node when I am at home.

Thx,
PaLaD1

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Palad1 said:
Hello,

Is there any problem in letting a powerbook turned on 24/7, or will it start overheating / cracking ?

Intended usage: webserver / freenet node when I am at home.

Thx,
PaLaD1

I knew a guy a few years back that ran a network and web server off a pentium 120mhz laptop and it of course was on 24/7. he never had any issues with it so a powerbook would be more than fine.

use this screen saver: http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/13442
it doesn't use any system power at all since it just turns your screen black so its perfect for a server to save wear on the screen.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
That shouldn't be a problem at all - get the screensaver that blue&whiteman suggested. I have had a Rev A. PB Titanium running as a server 24-7 for well over a year now - just restarted after system updates. Make sure that it's kept cool - either by a podium coolpad or one of those pads with the fans underneath (I forget the brand name). I use an external drive with my PB servers so it actually stays pretty cool by itself - file transfers are not that CPU intensive.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
OT, but does the screen saver turn off the backlight?

TFTs will not wear out like CRT gun, so it really doesn't matter what color the screen is. what matters is the backlight...

dudeami

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2004
Texas
I would think you would just want to set the display to go to sleep using the Energy saver preferences, but have the computer set to never go to sleep.

Palad1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 24, 2004
London, UK
I was more worried about the drain on the cpu/mem/hard drive. I gather PB's can get quite hot, and these components do not like overheating at _all_

Thanks for the tips :)

raptorhigh

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2003
I leave mine on all the time, but it's never doing anything processor intensive. I doubt there would be much of a problem.

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
i've left my ibook 366 on for a week and half constant doing SETI once. Absolutely no problems. Did reduce brightness to 0 bars though (there should be a brightness button on your keyboard) and put the blank screensaver on.

live4ever

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2003
I let my 15 incher run all night with the screen off (not as a server though), only put it to sleep when I bring it to work everyday.

I don't think you'll have a problem.

cjc343

macrumors 6502
My 15" PB 1250 folds allll night long, and then alllll day long (except for the occasional restart because of new software)..... The proccessor stays at a pretty constant 100%

I have NOT had any problems......

I would restart it every now and then to maintain speed, but otherwise I think you are fine......

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.