Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnbro23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
Thanks for everyone's help. That really clears things up. Since I'm not paying the bills (my parents do), I'll leave it on all the time. No use worrying about putting it to sleep or shutting down.

SuperChuck

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2003
Chucktown, SC
When I said my Mac had been on for 3 years straight, I wasn't trying to suggest that it had literally never been turned off. Although I usually go a week or so between reboots, my iMac gets a little confused after a long day of Photoshopping and needs a fresh start. Not sure why, really.

saabmp3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Tacoma, WA
SuperChuck said:
When I said my Mac had been on for 3 years straight, I wasn't trying to suggest that it had literally never been turned off. Although I usually go a week or so between reboots, my iMac gets a little confused after a long day of Photoshopping and needs a fresh start. Not sure why, really.

It's probably just full of page files and other crap. You could try leaving it on (not asleep) over night and letting the cron jobs take over. Might notice a big speed improvement. However, rebooting does the same thing.

BEN

paperkirin

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2004
Thanks for everyone's help. That really clears things up. Since I'm not paying the bills (my parents do), I'll leave it on all the time. No use worrying about putting it to sleep or shutting down.
You should put it to sleep whenever you can, really. Saves your parents money and is better for the environment. Your parents will thank you for the former, the rest of the world for the latter. 'sides, OS X wakes from sleep in about a second.
Kirin

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
SuperChuck said:
Although I usually go a week or so between reboots, my iMac gets a little confused after a long day of Photoshopping and needs a fresh start. Not sure why, really.

I also experience this problem, what fixes it for my is just loggin out, my compter seems just like it was after a fresh restart, and I don't loose uptime. :cool:

Coolvirus007

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2004
Tokyo
In w2k pro, to wake it up theres a progress bar at first showing the amount of time left for it to wake up. That take about 1.5 seconds to fill up. Then the screen goes black for 25 minutes. Then the computer wakes up.

JLaFrance

macrumors member
May 24, 2004
I think i've got you all beat, my old computer (imac 333) has been on for.....uhhh....6 1/2 years i think, i've got it working as a file server now so i ges thats why. no probs yet!

Wyrm

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2003
Toekeeyoe, Japan
JLaFrance said:
I think i've got you all beat, my old computer (imac 333) has been on for.....uhhh....6 1/2 years i think, i've got it working as a file server now so i ges thats why. no probs yet!

6 1/2 YEARS?!?!?! :eek:
I assume it's OS... what... 7? Or Linux? That's 1998... if it's Linux please post the uptime. If it's not, then how do you know it's been up for that amount of time?

-Wyrm

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.