Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TurboJobo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2009
San Diego/Tijuana
hey there i want to donwlaod a big file its like 600 mpbs but i have a 512 kbps internet so its gonna take bout 5 to 6 hours cani leave it on all night without catching on fire or anyhitng happen to it like wear-down thanks

upinflames900

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2009
It will be fine...even PCs are built better than fire hazards after a few hours...if you are really concerned you can buy a cooling pad, but really you are fine no worries at all.

crewrules101

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2007
Power cord

Just make sure that your laptop's power cord is not in any loops, and that it is laid out in a straight line. Also make sure that the brick is on a surface that will not get damaged due to heat. I left mine on my old desk and the laminate got a bit discolored. Also make sure your laptop is not surrounded by junk, and leave it on a hard surface. Also make sure your laptop is not sitting on the cord.

Other than that, have a great time downloading what ever you want overnight.

(Your comp might try to go to sleep though, so check the Energy preferences and make sure it is set to not go to sleep. Display sleep is good though!)

Scott

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
You can leave it running as long as you like, it's a computer, use it as such...

I had mine going for almost 2 days straight, pulling down ~1.5MBps, no problem.

-tWv-

macrumors 68000
May 11, 2009
Ohio
I leave my laptop on overnight when I do video transcoding and dvd ripping. I just use smcfancontrol to turn that fans up high because the CPU is close to 100% the entire time. I find it very annoying to try to use the computer when it is that hot so I make sure that I use You should be just fine with downloading something.

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
My 13" MB-unibody has been powered on ever since I brought it in week 1 after release. Never turned it off, running with lid closed most of the time, without any special pre-cautions => no problem what so ever!

andalusia

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
My 13" MB-unibody has been powered on ever since I brought it in week 1 after release. Never turned it off, running with lid closed most of the time, without any special pre-cautions => no problem what so ever!

Seriously, I want you to download (unless you already have it) iStat Nano Dashboard Widget and show me a screenshot of the Uptime.... I wanna see this!

nineohtoo

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
SF Bay Area
I never turn my computer off, reboot only when an application requires or when the OS is buggin out(only happened once this year, and usually a "killall Dock" or "killall Finder" does the trick), and I put it to sleep when I close it and throw it in my messenger.

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
Seriously, I want you to download (unless you already have it) iStat Nano Dashboard Widget and show me a screenshot of the Uptime.... I wanna see this!

It won't show what you wanted to see because I do have to restart for the Apple updates.

d00mz

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2009
Do you guys leave your Displays running all night?

With a screen saver? or do you guys just turn off the display and leave everything else on?

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
Do you guys leave your Displays running all night?

With a screen saver? or do you guys just turn off the display and leave everything else on?

I usually just let the screen power down after it's assigned amount of time.

Richard1028

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2009
I have an Expose hot corner (upper right) set to sleep the display with a flick of a finger over the trackpad. Kind of cool (to me anyway).

I never use a screen saver - it interferes with streaming video on certain sites.

crackbookpro

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Om nom nom nom
hey there i want to donwlaod a big file its like 600 mpbs but i have a 512 kbps internet so its gonna take bout 5 to 6 hours cani leave it on all night without catching on fire or anyhitng happen to it like wear-down thanks

...that is the perfect time for doing large updates and/or downloads.

Nothing is going to happen, except for 'time' saved. ;)

NikFinn

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2009
MA
Because it will turn on while you're streaming the video.

Yep. I have mine so that if it's plugged in the screensaver doesn't even turn on unless I use the hot corners command (lower right hand corner for me). At night I just close the lid to sleep it.

jointsmoking

macrumors regular
May 21, 2009

I left my Powerbook G4 on for 2 years, with only an occasional re-boot. It still works perfectly. You should have no problem.

l.a.rossmann

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2009
Brooklyn
It won't catch fire and it'll be fine.

If you're going to keep it on regularly for long periods of time, I'd advise you to remove the heatsink, clean the heatsink & the CPU/GPU with 99% isopropyl alcohol until it's totally clean. Reapply a SANE amount of thermal paste, and be on your way.

This isn't even so much for the CPU as it is for the surrounding components. The modern intel cores can run stupid hot, but for the sake of the stuff around it, having it run cooler would be best.

On your model this is much simpler than it is on the Pro. The Pro is a pain in the ass, you have to take the logic board out, and it has annoying cables, and a mini I/O board, and even MORE varied screws(can you imagine?)

Apple really does just throw the TIM on by the pound.

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
I have my MacBook on virtually 24/7 and have never had a problem with it. It's a system designed to be used very rigorously as a desktop replacement if need be. With the "connected" world we live in now I like to keep my system up as much as possible so I can get updates, of whatever origin, as they become available.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.