Can I listen through iMac speakers?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by 2012Tony2012, Dec 26, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502a

2012Tony2012

I have an 3.5mm plug connected into my iMac and TV, and when my TV is off I want to listen to sound on my iMac, but it won't play on my iMac unless I pull the plug out which gets annoying and tedious task every day.

Any other solution?

2. macrumors regular

Other option

You can go to system preferences and then go to audio and change the audio out to headphone jack or internal speakers

3. macrumors 6502a

Or hold down the alt key and click on the sound level icon in the menu bar.

4. thread starter macrumors 6502a

2012Tony2012

Do you mean click on SOUND? In output there is only one thing listed, Headphones. Why is that seeing I have no headphones? Does the Mac think the cable going from Mac to TV is a headphone?:eek: And why isn't the internal speakers listed?

----------

My keyboard don't have an ALT key?:eek:

5. macrumors 6502

option

6. macrumors regular

Sorry thought it would work the same as my interface... but I think its becouse OS thinks u can just pull out the headphones if u want to use the speakers.. I cant think of any other work around to just pulling it out

7. macrumors 601

I have a Mini display port to Optical coming in the mail want to have it hooked to my Surround Sound Onkyo. Are you saying I cant have it plugged in and just enable my iMac speakers to listen out of them? Id have to pull this plug to listen out of my iMac and not the Surround Sound?

Bummer if so

8. macrumors regular

yeah u can do it that way just not through headphone port

9. macrumors 601

The minidisplay port is through the Headphone output:eek:

10. macrumors regular

No its not :confused:... its just through the minidisplay port u dont need any extra cables

11. macrumors 601

My fault what I actually meant to say was Ive got a Toslink to Mini Toslink cable coming lol

12. thread starter macrumors 6502a

2012Tony2012

It only shows headphones, not internal speakers:(

But when I pull plug out, it only shows internal speakers and not headphones.

Is there a way to have my Mac show BOTH, headphones and internal speakers so I can switch between the 2 without always having to pull out and plug in the audio cable?

13. thread starter macrumors 6502a

2012Tony2012

So it seems the only solution is to pull out the plug whenever I want to listen through Mac and put the plug in when I want to watch my Mac videos on my TV? :(

So my next question....does it harm the iMac if I pull out and put in the audio cable into the iMac when it's TURNED ON?:eek:

14. macrumors 601

So id have to pull out the Ministoslink to hear the iMacs speakers?

15. macdaddykane, Dec 26, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2012

macrumors member

USB audio adapter

Get a USB audio adapter. It basically adds another set of headphone and mic jacks to your computer. Use this for your audio out to TV.

Something like this:
    [​IMG]
    http://www.buy.com/prod/qvs-usbaudio3-usb-to-2-1-stereo-audio-adapter/226049977.html

This will free up your headphone jack and you will end up with something like this in your Sound preferences:

[​IMG]

Make sure check the box on the bottom circled in red.

Now option/click (alt/click) on the speaker in the menu bar will allow you toggle your audio choice.

[​IMG]

Not the most elegant solution but, No more unplugging...

16. macrumors 601

Nice, but why doesn't it already have the sound Output preferences like that already? Where either the Minitoslink/Headphone output or iMac default speakers can be enabled?

BTW if I go this route with the adapter it doesn't effect sound quality since it isn't the native port?

17. macrumors member

For some reason when they designed the iMac, if you plug something into the built in audio out/headphone jack, it disables the built-in speakers. I believe that this is the way iMac is hard-wired and it is not a software/OS function (Though I could be wrong).

My prefs with empty headphone jack

[​IMG]

with something plugged in headphone jack

[​IMG]

The only way I found around this is to add a usb sound out adapter.
    They sold are in various levels of quality from simple stereo to full 3d surround.
    How they stack up against the built-in head phone jack in terms of sound quality, I can't really say. I'm not much of any audiophile.
    But it does work and its how i connect to my reasonably mediocre home sound system.

18. thread starter macrumors 6502a

2012Tony2012

Does it harm the iMac if I pull out and put in the audio cable into the iMac when it's TURNED ON?

19. macrumors 6502

Bose companion 5's use a USB input off the speakers.

Expensive, but an option anyway.

Bought a set yesterday and will pass on the results.:D

20. macrumors 6502a

No, no risk whatsoever.

21. macrumors demi-god

mmomega

I thought it was software based simply because when you have external speakers connected to your iMac and then you restart the system.

The apple chime comes out of the built-in speakers at boot up, once OS X is up sound comes out of the connected speakers.

22. thread starter macrumors 6502a

2012Tony2012

Credible tech Source? Or are you assuming?

23. macrumors 65816

Plugging a headphone jack in and out of your phone doesn't break it so why would it damage a more powerful and more capable machine.

It doesn't do anything except change where the sound comes out.

I hate the fact that the headphone jack is on the back. You either need an I credibly long headphone cable or have to sit right up next to the iMac.

Apple should either move the jack or include a pair of very long lead headphones with the iMac.

24. macrumors 603

Or just buy a male->female 3.5mm extension cable....

25. thread starter macrumors 6502a

2012Tony2012

I am very surprised that nobody at Apple could have better foresight to include the ability to choose between 2 different audio outputs. Even the people at Microsoft were smart enough to think of that lol :eek: