Can I lock the volume on the Ipad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Deschodt, Jan 9, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

Jan 8, 2008
    My 3y old loves picking up the Ipad and watch Toy Story on it. But he quickly figured out how to max out the volume using the on-screen slider.

Is there a way to lock the volume controls or limit the volume of the speakers ?
  2. macrumors 6502a

May 8, 2010
    London, England
  3. macrumors member

Nov 1, 2007

I have the same problem. Unfortunately the volume limit only works on music, not videos. It's a HUGE oversight. The odd thing is that I think it does work on videos on the iPhone.
  4. thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 8, 2008
    Yes, I can't find a solution... I've asked an app writing friend to write an app for that ;-) It's a big oversight for parents of Ipad-smart kids !
  5. macrumors 604

Feb 23, 2010
    But for a volume locking app, you would need the iPad to be able to do multitasking which it can't. Apart from Apple's own code outside of apps.

So when you exit your friends app, it will just get frozen and the next app will override it won't it?
  6. macrumors newbie

Dec 26, 2011
    2 year old turns up volume

Yes, someone please develop an app or something to lock the volume on the video on IPad. My daughter turns it all the way up. It would also be cool if I could lock a page so she can only chose from the icons that are on that page!
  7. macrumors regular

Jun 5, 2011
    An app like that would be great! But until then, perhaps you might tell her this: " turnee upee the volumee again and I takee awayee.."

8. macrumors 6502a

Nov 1, 2009
    Veliko Tarnovo, Bulgaria
    I'd suggest not giving a 3 year old an iPad! Buy it a crappy things for that sort of thing.
  9. macrumors newbie

Jan 31, 2012
    In response to not giving child iPad. When you buy one of those vTech P.O.S.'s you end up spending dam near as much as the cheapest iPad when you get the games, cases, chargers, etc.