Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
Or Do I have to partition the Hard Drive first? If I partion is there any way to do it without deleting my information that's already on there? I don't have enough disk space to back that up on another HDD.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
No. Each partition can only have one OSX install on it--that's the nature of the beast.

You can, as you surmised, partition the drive and have a bootable install on each partition, but I'm not aware of any utilities that can repartition an HFS+ drive without reformatting completely (excepting whatever trickery Apple has going with Bootcamp).

Maybe I'm wrong about that second part--have a look on VersionTracker for partitioning utilities.

I will note that drives are pretty cheap these days, so you might well be able to buy one for about the same as a utility might cost.

Good luck, anyway.

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
Thanks. Making 2 bootables isn't necessary, but I guess it would of made things a little easier.

Hmm... If, and when I actually do buy, my new hardrive. I could just place it in my external and backup my current OSX, and then replace my MB's HDD with the new one without messing with my other HDD. Sound plan?

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
wickedG35 said:
Why not make a 3rd partition and make that bootable also?

I would if I had the space, and if partitioning didn't delete all my information. I already have 1 bootable on my external.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.