Can I make iPhoto stop treating me like an idiot?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by motulist, Aug 3, 2006.

1. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

Specifically;

1) Can I make iPhoto just display my image full screen? The only way I know to do it is to do a slide show or drag n drop to another app, which are both terrible solutions.

2) Can I get rid of those stupid @#%$@ on screen controls when I skip through images in a slide show? Even when you deselect the "show controls" option it still shows them as soon as you skip to the next image or pause the show.

Any ideas? Maybe there's a safe hack solution? Maybe someone knows how to erase those slideshow graphics from the app entirely so they just cant display?

Lemmie hear your ideas.

2. motulist thread starter macrumors 68040

motulist

Woo hoo! I hacked iPhoto to solve problem #2 ! (BUT I still need an answer for problem #1 ) Now the slide show controls won't superimpose over my images even when I skip around or pause!

Here's how I did it, but first, a disclaimer;
    I have NOT tested this to be safe and I make NO warranty that this won't destroy all your images, blow your computer up or damage or kill you in any other way.

Having said that, this type of hack is usually very safe. Here's what I did.
    ---------------------------

1) Duplicate the iPhoto application

2) Option click the copied application and select "Show Package Contents"

3) In the finder, change view to icon view, hit apple-j and check off "show icon preview"

4) Open up each of the icons you find that are the slideshow controls into photoshop (another graphic app may work as well)

5) Select all of the image, hit delete, then save and repeat for each control image

Now enjoy your slideshow without being marred by the image controls!

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'm assuming this step is missing the words "and delete?" Or something to that effect?

4. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Maybe try clicking on the "Full Screen" button? It the furthest right of the bottom left icons. :)

5. zim macrumors 65816

zim

What version of iPhoto? If you are in iLife 06 then just go into full screen edit mode. In the edit mode you can move your mouse to the top of the screen and then scan through all your photos in that album.. move away and it goes away.

6. motulist thread starter macrumors 68040

motulist

Yup, you're correct, good eye. I've edited my instructions to reflect the omission.

7. motulist thread starter macrumors 68040

motulist

I assume that's a joke because the button all the way to the right (at the end of the zoom slider) makes the image full window, not full screen in my version of iPhoto, 5.02 .

8. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Ah, you only have iPhoto 5. That woulda been helpful info to include in the original post. I wasn't joking. I was referring to the full-screen feature of iPhoto 6. Time to upgrade?

9. motulist thread starter macrumors 68040

motulist

The edit mode in version 5.02 is not full screen, it's full window. Meaning you still see the menu bar and other stuff. The mode I want, which every other picture viewer on the planet has, is a full SCREEN mode where you see nothing except the image on a black background. And most other image browsers make it so when you're in full screen image view you hit the left or right arrow and it skips to the next image in full screen mode. The slideshow hack I've made is a terrible substitute because you still have to click a bunch of mouse clicks and also you still have to wait for it to do the automatic fade up and fade down which cannot be turned off.

10. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

iPhoto '06 is worth every penny of the cost of iLife '06. Not only will it give you full-screen editing but it's a hell of a lot faster than iPhoto '05.

Upgrade my son, upgrade.

11. motulist thread starter macrumors 68040

motulist

I didn't realize that there was a newer version of iPhoto. I got iPhoto pre-installed with my Mac and it keeps showing me new versions in software update, so I had no reason to think there was a new version out, or that I had to pay for it and that it wouldn't remain free like iTunes. There was probably some popup iLife ad that appeared in iPhoto that I dismissed.

Oh well, now I have to decide if I should spend some of my entertainment dollars on the new version of iPhoto or spend it elsewhere, because photography is just a hobby for me.

12. zim macrumors 65816

zim

Right, but I said iLife06 which is iPhoto 6 not 5. iPhoto 6 has a full SCREEN mode ;) and yes, the new iPhoto is worth the money.

13. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

You got iLife '05 pre-installed with your Mac, iLife '06 came out in January and offers a huge range of improvements over iLife '05.

When you buy a Mac you get the current version of iLife pre-installed but updates to new version numbers (ie 5 to 6) will cost you.

Definitely worth it for the massive speed boost and full screen editing in iPhoto '06.

There will most likely be a new version in January next year - it's been on a yearly update cycle for some time now - as part of the iLife '07 suite.

14. motulist thread starter macrumors 68040

motulist

Live and learn. :)

15. zim macrumors 65816

zim

iPhoto 6 would make you happy. you should buy 2. :)

16. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

You've already made it 8 months, might as well make it 4 more and get '07 when it comes out.

17. motulist thread starter macrumors 68040

motulist

I checked out iPhoto 6 at apple http://www.apple.com/ilife/iphoto/ and it show all kinds of crap on the screen with the photo in those screenshots. Even when you get info on the full screen feature it still shows crap on the screen. http://www.apple.com/ilife/iphoto/features/fullscreen.html The descriptions seem to say it does it, but even the quicktime tour movie of iPhoto's full screen edit mode doesn't really make the specifics explicit because it zooms in and out on areas of the desktop. I want to be sure, so I'm going to ask the question precisely.

Question: Does iPhoto 6 have a mode where I can hit a key command so that the image I'm viewing goes full screen, without a fade in or out, with no menu bar, thumbnails, icon controls, pallets, or anything else visible on the screen except my image, edge to edge (as the aspect ratio allows) on a black background, that I can then hit the left or right arrow to see the next image in true full screen without getting any controls or icons displaying on the screen when I do it?

18. zim macrumors 65816

zim

Yes. If I enter into Edit full screen mode, by double clicking on an image, this setting can be changed in the preferences, I first see iPhoto transition so that there is a side scrolling menu of my images on the top and editing options at the bottom. The menu and editing options those fade away if not "touched" by the cursor. If I push the left and right keys on the keyboard I can then scroll through the images one at a time, full screen, no menus, no options, no pallets. Depending on the size of the photo iPhoto might have to load the image in, which takes less then a second, but after that you can scroll through with ease.. oh and you can also do two up, show two images at a time if needed. This mode is not a slide show, nor does it have options for one, there is no fading from image to image either.

If you watch the Full Screen Editing movie (http://www.apple.com/ilife/quicktour/iphoto/) you will see how the menus appear and disappear.. they don't show any chaning of photos but I can tell you that they just change, no fades etc.

I know that there is the possibility of a new iLife coming in 07 but I couldn't wait.. iPhoto 5 and my D70s were fighting too much and iLife 06 gave new life to my mac, D70s and um.. well it gave me back a lot of time, time that was spent waiting.

19. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

Yes.

Posted by zim a little bit before this one. All of those palettes that you saw on the screenshot on the iLife webpage disappear after you move the mouse away from the top or bottom edge. Then, you can just use the left/right arrows to navigate through your library or album, with nothing on the screen besides the photo.

Edit: Beat to the punch, by zim, no less!

20. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

In iPhoto 6 you can double-click a photo to view it in full-screen mode. The thumbnails and toolbar appear for a second and then disappear. You can then use the arrow keys to instantly change photos and the thumbnails and toolbar won't reappear (unless you mouse to the top or bottom of your screen).

[edit: beat by two people!!]

Here's a screenshot of the help topic.

Attached Files:

21. motulist thread starter macrumors 68040

motulist

So then it DOESN'T do what I want, if I'm understanding you correctly. I hate all those things that overlay on my image, even if it's just for a second. I like to very quickly see an image in true full screen and all those 'just for a second' things totally break up my mental flow. That's exactly the type of thing that I'm talking about when I say iPhoto treats me like an idiot. It doesn't trust that I know what I'm doing or how to get out of full screen or whatever unless it flashes the hidden options and controls on my screen so that I know they're there. I understand why they don't set the default preferences so all controls are automatically hidden, but there's really no excuse for not having a preference so that you can set all those things to NEVER appear.

22. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

Do you have Tiger? Just use the Slideshow contextual menu option.

23. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

The menus don't appear each time you switch images, just when you enter full-screen mode. If that's enough to break your "mental flow," you've got bigger problems to deal with. :p

24. zim macrumors 65816

zim

Yes, I have no life.

Well, I don't see it any differnt then any other application warming up. Plus it has to do something why it loads your photos in.

Also a great option. Yet another reason to get iLife 06, the photos are easily findable in the finder so doing a select all and control click can send them to full screen but you will still have the left, right arrows viewable when clicking.

25. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

Oh yeah, I forgot about that.

Without iLife 06, my suggestion is utterly ridiculous.