Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sdwaltz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 29, 2015
Indiana
Hi all,

I'm the proud new owner of a beautiful white and silver 128gb iPhone 6 plus.

I'm an Apple Music user (it took me a whole 3 minutes to realize it was way better than Spotify due to being able to integrate my purchased music and streamed music into one easy-to-use app rather than switching between the two) and I was curious if anyone had found a way to make the ENTIRE library available offline with one single tap rather than having to do it manually, whether it be album-by-album or song-by-song. Before Apple Music, I used iTunes Match/iCloud Music Library prior to the launch of Apple Music, so all the music I actually own is already in the cloud. I have a decent-sized library (around 40gb) and with all this storage space, I'd like to just keep it all on the phone instead of stream it all the time. I have a grandfathered unlimited plan through AT&T, but storing it locally on the phone just works better and I'm more comfortable with it. It wasn't even an option for me on my previous phone as it was only 64gb, but now I have the room and that's how I'd like to do it. I listen to a lot of music and AT&T throttles my speeds if I go over 5gb, and this could easily be avoided if this were an option.

It's so easy to do in iTunes in OS X (select all, right click, and click on "make available offline") but I can't seem to figure out if it's possible on iOS.

Thanks in advance for replies!

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
You can't do it directly, but there's an easy workaround (credit to @chabig who made this suggestion on this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-about-apple-music-app.1898371/#post-21555035): On iTunes, create a smart playlist with the criteria "Media Kind" is music. That will add all your music to that playlist and then on your phone you can go into the playlist and use the ... menu to make it all available offline

It may take a while to download it all though :)

Reactions: flur and sdwaltz

sdwaltz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 29, 2015
Indiana
Excellent! That'll be cake - surprised I didn't think of that before.

I appreciate it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.