Can I make my Windoze desktop look more Mac-like?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Rantipole, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Rantipole macrumors 6502

Rantipole

As with many of you, I have to use Windoze at work. I'm sick of looking at it!! Are there any applications that can give it a more Mac/Aqua/whatever look to it?

Thanks for any tips you can share.

2. dxm113 macrumors member

I've seen lots of skins for Wondows that make XP look like OSX, just search around in Google

here a link though

3. Rantipole thread starter macrumors 6502

Rantipole

4. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I highly reccomend the Portrait of a Kite interface - it's what I use at one of my jobs. A few thoughts though - there are a couple of expose emulators out there - they are massive resource hogs (but that may just be my system). The nice thing about the PoaK interface is that it doesn't really slow me down, even with object dock running. That is another huge benefot of PoaK - it also acts as a clearinghouse for other thrid party apps.

Oh the work system is a 2.4 Celeron w/ 512MB ram. So, your machine should fly even with the PoaK mods.

5. M-theory macrumors 6502

M-theory

6. howesey macrumors 6502a

I used to do this. Cannot be bothered these days as I use a Mac full time. I cannot remember the apps I used to use to do it.

Crazy thing is, you can make Windows look and work like OS X, but better.

7. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

My TiBook is currently pissing me off w/o Tiger, instead using Puma. To ease my pain until my student purchased copy of Tiger (yes! $69) gets here, I'm using my parents 3 ghz P4 Dell box. I just installed the PoAK interface, and it's scary good. Damn! It's good! flows very well, and doesn't slow me down, either.

I reccomend it to those looking to get through the day on a PC, wishing they had the beauty of Aqua.

8. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

the only question is, can i somehow get a file menu (like in OSX) at the top, with time, and all the other stuff? I had to hide my start menu bar to authenticate the look.

9. DerChef macrumors 6502

DerChef

For Function as well as Form

To get the feel of Dashboard and Spotlight

There are Yahoo! Widgets (formerly Konfabulator)

and Yahoo! Desktop Search (formerly X1)

Before anybody says there are Google and MSN equivalents, these products that Yahoo bought had a proven track record and actually work:p

10. Island Dog macrumors 6502a

Island Dog

11. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

Perhaps I didn't have the software set up properly, but that program slowed my system down big-time. I've never had any luck with any "theme-changers".

12. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

I tried the OS X emulation thing for a while. All it does is reduce to PC's speed down big time and make every single application look god awful.

That PC's harddrive failed and hence the nice, shiny iBook. whoosh.

13. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Work PC. ;)

I just set mine to look more like Win2000 and take out all the fancy stuff. I like some of the fancy effects in OS X, especially when it's more function than form, but it's better for Windows just to get out of my way. The hacks just seem to make it worse IMO, but they are out there for those who can't use a Mac.

14. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

Yeah, when I used windows I went with the classic theme. It's only one step earlier than the XP style, but it's already retro-tastic.

15. Island Dog macrumors 6502a

Island Dog

Windowblinds does not slow you computer down. It uses less resources than Windows own theme.

16. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

WB is still very unstable. My PC is a total workhouse, with nary a BSOD or hardlock in all of its days. Minutes after installing WB, as I wanted to try both a Tiger and Vista theme (both very pretty), I get into a HARD Lock.

I reset, I think it's just a fluke.

Nope, it does it again. WB to this day remains one of the worst things to put on your computer. Back in the days of version 1.0-3.0, it was bad. People said they "fixed" it in the current version. Sorry, but they were horribly wrong. Native theming (i.e. msstyles) is still the best way to go.

17. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

Before Window Blinds install : PC ran fine
    After Window Blinds install: Crashed constantly and when it did run it ran incredibly slow.
    The install of this program was the only change made to this computer, so based on this and the fact that everyone I know who tried this program got the same results I'm going to say yes, it slows your system down.