Can I max ram to 2gigs on old Tibook?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by California, Apr 3, 2005.

1. California macrumors 68040

California

I was just messing around on a third party memory site and noticed that someone actually carries what looks like 1 gig of sdram PC100 (or 133) that would fit my 400mhz Tibook.

Does anyone know if that means Apple's specs of 1 gig max on the machine (where I have it now) might have been configured to what was available on a memory chip at that time?

In other words, can I max the machine out at 2 gigs? I know it may be gilding the lily here but am curious as to how much I can push the machine as most parts of it are months new.

2. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

That has been the case in the past; Apple set max memory figures according to the available RAM sticks at the time. Whether or not your TiBook will go to 2gigs though, I'm not sure.

3. AstroManLuca macrumors member

EDIT: I'm retarded and need to read people's descriptions better...

But anyway, I wouldn't count on it working. I know that the PowerMac G4 MDD (first PowerMac to use DDR) was limited to 2 GB of RAM, even though it'll take 1 GB modules and has 4 RAM slots. But it still won't see more than 2 GB, no matter what you do. Personally I'd stick with 2x512 MB and not take any chances.

4. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

According to this site, your Powerbook can only how 1 gig, just like the Apple specs said. I would stick with that. Also even if you do get up to 2 gigs, wouldn't another part such as the processor or hard drive, hold your Powerbook back.

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Minor misapprehension: As long as you have enough RAM for your applications, data and OS to reside in, adding more RAM will not speed the machine up further.

The more programs you have running at once, and the larger data files, the larger that "enough" figure has to be.

Or to put it another way, performance is only added to the top end of the range when you add more RAM than "enough" - you won't see the difference until you push into that range.

6. California thread starter macrumors 68040

California

Thanks guys --- confirmed it's not worth it.

COULD be worth it if I upgraded CPU to 550, and hd to 7200 but at that point -- new computer. This little TiBook is sweet at one gb ram and recently emptied cache and repaired permissions; running sweeter! If I feel like messing around and seeing if it will recognize 1.5 gigs of ram, I'll let y'all know.

7. Bear macrumors G3

The odds are Apple didn't provide the addressing lines required to address DIMMs larger than 512MB. So it probably won't work.

Sometimes it's worth not trying to improve the current system. Sometimes you just have to go and buy a new system.