Can I mount my Digital Camera as a Drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by fistful, Jul 19, 2005.

1. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

So I am able to transfer pictures to and from Compact Flash card?

I have a Canon Powershot A75 with like I said Compact Flash, it's usb 1.1 I believe.

If not I'll pick up one of those PCMCIA cf card read/writers for my powerbook. I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with one of these from sandisk and if they would recommend them?

I assume they are Mac compatible however the site does not say.

2. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

When you plug in your digital camera, the memory card mounts are a normal volume, so yes, you can use it to store files if you like.

Although if its USB 1.1, it will be pretty slow. The SanDisk PC Card will transfer data much faster.

3. fistful thread starter macrumors 6502a

fistful

thanks Heb1228,

Now that I know I can I just need to know how? I'm not sure if I'm clear with what I'd like to do, I'd like to mount it as a drive onto my desktop. The way it is now it does not mount to the desktop however I can still import picture through Image Capture and/or iPhoto.

4. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

That seems strange to me, every camera I've plugged in mounts and appears on my desktop. Try opening a Finder window and seeing if it is listed beneath your other volumes in the sidebar.

Or, just open a Finder window and hold down option and press the up arrow until the finder window won't change anymore and see if the volume is listed there.

5. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

My canon S45 also doesn't mount, or show up as a volume. iPhoto automatically pops up and asks me to import the photos. Have you ever been able to make a canon camera mount? Maybe it's a canon issue.

6. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Maybe it is, my camera is a Sony and I figured they would all work the same. I can't remember if I've ever tried a Canon or not, but I have used at least 5 or 6 cameras other than mine and they were all the same.

Maybe someone with a Canon camera could answer your question better than I could. Does any information show up in Disk Utility when the camera is plugged in?

7. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Grandpa has a nice new expensive Canon and it won't mount either. Gotta use iPhoto or ImageCapture. Must be a Canon thing!

8. fistful thread starter macrumors 6502a

fistful

I'll have to check out if it mounts within disk utility tomorrow, my batteries are dead and I don't seem to have any spares atm.

I'll also try it out on my pc tomorrow as well, see if it will mount. I've honestly never tried before, never had a reason.

9. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Canon digital cameras do not mount as actual drives like Nikon and Sony digital cameras. I read one time that Canon did that on purpose to prevent users from accidentally destroying the partition table/folder hierarchy on their cards. You can purchase a USB or Firewire card reader that will mount the card.

10. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

That's odd... I find that mounting as a drive is quite helpful.
    My wife's (used to be mine :( ) Nikon CoolPix 3500 mounts, and it makes it easy to clean up the drive before she takes it to Walmart for photo printing.

Glad to know that about Canon.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

11. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Funny Canon would be different... there was some problem with Canon video cameras capturing to external firewire drives a while back, i don't know if thats changed or not.

12. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

It's not just Canon, my Sony doesn't mount either...

13. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Really? The Sony mentioned above does... is yours old or new?
    That's strange.

Anybody know if there is anything in the descriptions/packaging etc, that would indicate one way or the other. In other words, any way to know before you buy the camera and connect whether it will mount or not?

Woof, Woof – Dawg [​IMG]

14. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

It's from 2001. It's a 2MP so nothing special, lol.

15. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

My Nikon D70 mounts as a drive. It can be handy on occasion.

The Canon Digital Rebel we have at work does not mount as a drive. I suspect they did it for the same reason they artificially dumbed-down the Digital Rebel - they thought it'd give them some economic advantage one way or another.

16. Gee macrumors 65816

I thought it was yet another bug in Tiger! Had a Sony that would mount fine, then I bought a Canon 350D and Tiger at about the same time, and no mounting.

I'm kinda relieved to find it's actually a Canon thing. Only another 1,235 annoying bugs in Tiger left to cross off my list!

17. oakdryad5 macrumors newbie

oakdryad5

I'm not sure if this is the same problem, but I have a panasonic lumix fz20, and when I plug it in to upload photos on my mac mini, it doesn't show up at all and I can't find it. I'm not sure how to import using iphoto, I've tried 'add to library', but i still cannot find my camera or the pictures. What to do?

Christine

18. SumDumGuy macrumors regular

My Sony DSC-F717 would mount as a drive. When I upgraded to my current Canon Rebel XT I was disappointed to find out that it doesn't mount on the desktop as a drive. Annoying.

19. oakdryad5 macrumors newbie

oakdryad5

Also, not only does it not show up as a drive, it also corrupts all the pictures on my camera! This has made me hesitate connecting the camera to the mac at all to try things out since I'm afraid the memory card will get damaged somehow. :(

20. fistful thread starter macrumors 6502a

fistful

I forgot all about this thread, thanks for your responses everyone.

stupid Canon! :mad:

oakdryad5, here you can find which cameras are supported by OS X, after a quick glance your camera doesn't seem to be supported.

21. oakdryad5 macrumors newbie

oakdryad5

Thanks for the reply. I wish I would have seen/looked for this list earlier to avoid the picture corruption :) I guess I assumed that anything would connect with no problem to the mac. Now to get a card reader..

Christine

22. Ti_Poussin macrumors regular

Ti_Poussin

23. oakdryad5 macrumors newbie

oakdryad5

24. ic1 macrumors member

25. appleweek macrumors member

Hi All!
    I have a recent Canon PowerShot A520 connected to a Intel Tiger 10.4.7 PC and can confirm it still does not mount as an OSX volume. After much research it seems Canon camera's lack built-in USB Mass Storage support (instead supports only PTP protocol), hence it doesn't recognize it as a volume. When I take out my SD card and place it in my USB 2.0 Card Reader (which is recognized as a USB Mass Storage class device), I get it mounted as a volume plus Image Capture (my prog of choice) pops open. When the exact same SD card is loaded in the PowerShot, only Image Capture pops open, plus no accessible volume is noted anywhere by the system (Disk Utility, /Volumes, other disk recovery progs, etc). The unfortunate thing is, Windows XP allows you to access PTP-only devices and treat them as regular volumes.

As far as i've been able to tell, their appears no way around this impasse short of buying a Card Reader, which should be unnecessary.

If anyone figures this one out, please update this thread.

Thx