Can I network a Classic Mac and a new eMac?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by ChrisH3677, Jan 25, 2004.

1. ChrisH3677 macrumors 6502a

As I understand, the Classic Mac only has AppleTalk networking... how do I network that with an eMac which doesn't have an AppleTalk port?

thanks

2. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

There are switches on the market, wel on ebay, they are from a couple of years back. They go from ethernet to appletalk connector. It's from farallon and it's called EtherMac Iprint Adapter. I use it for hooking up my personal laserwriter nt (which has an appletalk connector) to my G3 and G5. I also used it in the past to hook up my lc/colorclassic/SE30 to my G3. I still use my lc whenever I need a floppydrive! The transfer is slow, but so is Appletalk! Make sure your old mac has version 7.5.3, nothing earlier. Or os 8 or higher, not 7.5.5 (gives problems!). If your Emac has os X on it, it could be a problem! The Classic mac doesn't mount the HD of the Emac (probably because it's formatted hfs+). Your emac however does see the classic mac.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Re: Can I network a Classic Mac and a new eMac?

What do you mean by "Classic Mac"? At any rate, you can run AppleTalk over IP on fairly old Macs. If you have an Ethernet port on your older Mac, then you can use regular AppleTalk on the eMac and the older Mac.

4. ChrisH3677 thread starter macrumors 6502a

5. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

oke, a macintosh classic... Well, you can still hook it up to your emac, but make sure you are running os 9, don't think os x wil work. It will be hard to connect those two together. Even if you use the hardware which I mentioned above. The issue is more the OS of the Classic. Don't think os 7.5.3 will run on it. And you really need that as a minimum. Goodluck!

6. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

I think as far as having the right OS on the classic, he's fine. Apple-History.com's page says the maximum OS it can support is 7.5.5, so he's good on that front.

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

What in God's name are you saying?

The Macintosh Classic runs MacOS 7.5.5 as its most recent OS.

MacOS X can most certainly network with older versions of the MacOS. In the case of computers like the Classic without built-in Ethernet, an Ethernet-LocalTalk bridge is required. Unless you have hooves instead of fingers, it is not hard.