Can I open up a MS Word document from iWork?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by amycishere, Feb 18, 2007.

1. amycishere macrumors 6502

Right away when I tried it, it opened up in my microsoft word free trail. Please tell me I don't have to pay another $150 dollars after all this money I spent on this computer...please.

2. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

Erm... To continue using it after the 15 or 30 days or whatever the trial is? Yes. But there are other (free) alternatives for a word-like program. NeoOffice and OpenOffice are some.

Could you elaborate on your question a little? It's a kind of confusing. Especially since the title of the thread doesn't seem to connect with the contents at all. Thanks. :)

3. gameguy3001 macrumors member

it is possible to open word documents using pages (part of the iwork bundle). just right click (control click) on the document and choose open with>Pages. it is possible that you and only have the trial of pages as well depending on if you bought it with you computer originally.

hope this helps

4. amycishere thread starter macrumors 6502

What I am saying is I bought iwork preinstalled after seeing I could make word documents with it. Can I open .wps documeents with it too?

5. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

It's possible to open a Word document in TextEdit, but I'm not sure about the some of the formatting and such.

6. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

Why not just try? :p It's not like anything bad could happen. I have never tried a .wps file myself.

7. amycishere thread starter macrumors 6502

I just tried opening a .wps document actually and it wouldn't let me either in text edit or pages.

8. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

What is the WPS format used for? Mine always end in .doc. I'm no Word power user, of course, but I don't think I've encountered a *.wps file.

9. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

.wps is MS Works I believe, and I've had the misfortune of having to deal with them. They're compatible with nothing (even MS Works at times).

Get the other person to resend it as .rtf or .doc or something. It will save you a lot of grief.

10. biggiesmalls macrumors newbie

biggiesmalls

I never got the point of that whole program.. Microsoft Works? Why have Word and Works?

11. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

Its Microsoft, what do you expect? :p

12. TheBobcat macrumors 6502

TheBobcat

13. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

M$ Works is what they bundle with cheap PCs to try and convince buyers that an "office suite" is included.

SL

14. ppnkg macrumors 6502a

ppnkg

Get Neooffice! The current version works fine with msword files and the aqua interface is really really beautiful.

15. auntieginzy macrumors newbie

Help

I am being sent a variety of documents in the new version of MS Word and they wont open in Pages (I have the newest version). Is there a way round this please?:(