Can I preserve the iTunes play-count when I install Tiger?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by commonpeople, May 2, 2005.

1. commonpeople macrumors regular

Hi all,
    For some reason I get very attached to my play-counts on iTunes showing how often I've played each song. It's nice to be able to see my top 100 songs as voted for- by me. Well, I always suffer when I install a new OS on my mac, because I can't seem to preserve my play count and I have to start off all over again from zero plays for each song. Is there a way around this?

Thanks

2. russed macrumors 68000

russed

what i did was -

i made a back up of all of my files

then reformatted and opened itunes (so that it places an itunes folder in the music folder)

then i dragged all of the files that are in the itunes folder in the back up into the new itunes folder

open up itunes and everything is back as it was before! all the playlists, ratings, album art, playlists etc!

3. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

Yep--the relevant files are in Home > Music > iTunes. There are about 3 database files you need to transfer over.

And even if you keep your music files someplace else, the database files are always still in that iTunes folder.

I've migrated my music back and forth between various computers--and user accounts--and having those files transferred does the trick.

4. commonpeople thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the help!
    You MR guys and gals are so smart!