|||Can I prevent someone from texting or calling me on the iphone?|||

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CrossHairSB, Mar 11, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

I know on Verizon you can but don't see any setting for At&t to pinpoint and block a particular number, just thought I'd ask you all. thx Ken

2. macrumors 65816

you might be able to call customer services and get them to block a nuisance caller.

3. macrumors regular

That was an option on my last AT&T phone, but I can't find anything on the iPhone that does that.... another thing apple forgot.

4. macrumors 68000

aross99

As far as I know, there is no way to block texting except to drop it all together. I called AT&T on this, when one of my daughter's "friends" was sending 50+ messages per day, and wouldn't stop. She wasn't sure who it was.

I was surprised to find out that there is really no way to stop this - AT&T said all they could do is disable it all together, which was not an acceptable solution.

I ended up calling the number that was texting her, and asked them to please STOP. My daughter was mortified, but it seemed to work.

5. macrumors 6502

Ahaha, Super-Dad... Awesome :)

It is possible, but it has to be supported on the network's side.. I'd tell you more, but that's all I know :x.

6. macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

7. TBi
    macrumors 68030

TBi

Talking about receiving these prank calls/txts.
    I'd love if you could had an option where when someone called you you could send them to an automated message which said:

"All following calls to this number will be charged at 10 dollars per minute payable to the recipient. Press # to continue this call."

That would stop the bugger quite quickly and/or make it profitable to receive the calls. Much better than the "do not call list" idea. You'd want them to call you, and for as long as possible.

You could have a similar idea for txt's where the person is sent a message informing them that all messages sent to you will be charged at 10 dollars per txt.

To make it worth while for the telecom companies i'd say let them take 50% of the charge. 5 dollars for me to receive the annoying call and 5 dollars for you to put the scheme in place.

8. macrumors 6502

9. macrumors regular

if blocking doesn´t work another solution would be just making a silence as a ringtone so at least you won´t get disturbed by the caller anymore exept for the vibrating... i know this not the perfect solution but i think better than nothing

10. macrumors regular

...That's not even a solution. That's just turning the other cheek, which is unacceptable.

11. macrumors member

Search and destroy!! ;)

seriously though..even my Samsung D828 supports blocking a certain number...just in it's menu settings...

12. macrumors newbie

#7726- No more text spam

I had someone texting me incessantly that would not stop. I called At&t customer service. They said forward the text to '7726'. On the iPhone hit edit, select the message then hit forward. It will text back and ask for the phone number it came from. Voilà No more text spam