Can I put my normal AT&T sim card in an iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by xXEvanatorXX, Aug 29, 2010.

1. macrumors newbie

A friend gave me his old 3Gs and I want to put my sim card from my HTC Tilt into it. The Tilts data plan is turned off. If i put the card into the iPhone what will happen? Will AT&T start charging me data fees? Or upgrade me to a two year plan?

Thanks.

2. Guest

I believe that you'll get a text informing you that your plan has been upgraded or otherwise changed to an iPhone data plan. It'll tell you to contact ATT for more information.

3. macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

This is correct. AT&T doesn't give warnings anymore. They will automatically upgrade a user to an official iPhone data plan or add one if there is no data plan.

4. macrumors 68040

eastercat

If you want to avoid a forced data plan, go with AT&T's pay as you go.

5. macrumors regular

ibarnett

So they know it's am iPhone?
    Even if you don't tell them the EMEI?
    I'm interested as I will be visiting USA with an unlocked iPhone 4 & was planing to use prepaid(pay as you go) & give EMEI from another phone as I heard that if you try to add data on a GoPhone sim it will be denied once they know it's an iPhone!
    This leaves no 3G companies for visitors, I would have to go with T-Mobile.

6. macrumors 6502a

chargit

well no matter what they CANNOT force you into a 2 year plan. they can put data on your plan but if you do not buy a phone from them or apple the 2 years is out the window! but its worth $15 unless you have 5 phones on your account like I do......

7. macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

Yes.