Can I request Two Dollar Bills?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dpaanlka, Dec 16, 2006.

1. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

If I go to a bank and want to make a withdrawal, can I request it in two-dollar bills? Is this something a bank is supposed to keep in stock?

I bank at Chase.

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

You may ask, but I don't think banks are under any obligation to keep $2 bills.

Why do you ask?

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I don't believe there are any regulations saying that a bank is "supposed to" carry two dollar bills, but many branches often do have some in stock. The only way to know is to ask.

4. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Dude, you're scaring me. ;)

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

That's my job. MR pays me well for it. ;)

6. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Well, I said it first. That makes you the stalker. :p

7. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Does America have $2 bills?

Thought it went from 1,5,10,20,50 - 100.

:confused:

8. FDX macrumors regular

2 dollar bills are great are strip clubs, the girls think u are giving them a 20.

9. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Yes, but hardly anyone uses them. You can even buy them in sheets if you have a $2 bill fetish.

10. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Yes, we have $2 bills. They have Thomas Jefferson on the face side, and an engraving of the signing of the Declaration of Independence on the back. Despite what some people think, they are still being printed to this day. Most people don't mess with them... they usually find their way back to the bank, and they end up sitting on them until someone specifically asks for them.

Aside from the obvious difference in value, $2 bills are much cooler than those dumb $1 gold Sacajawea coins. Between those and Susan B. Anthony dollars, they're among the worst coins ever designed.

11. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Exactly...they pay me (in two-dollar bills) to stalk you and drive you nuts.

Yes, there are two-dollar bills in the US, but they are rarely used in general circulation. Very few are printed, and most people just hang onto them as novelty items or good-luck charms instead of spending them.

There are numerous cases of cops being called by sales clerks who think that someone trying to tender $2 bills is a counterfeiter. You'll usually get strange looks (at a minimum) when you try to spend one. The In-N-Out Burger near my house occasionally gives them in change at the drive-through. I spend them there the next time I go through.

12. Fuzzy14 macrumors 65816

Fuzzy14

I had the same thought. Surely they haven't just introduced them? 2 dollars roughly equals 1 pound. Most of the UK stopped using pound notes about 20 years ago (replaced by coins.) Only us Scots and perhaps NI still use pound notes, but they are becoming pretty rare as everybody prefers coins. Last longer too, and you can use them in vending machines.

13. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Read up on it here. It was used from 1862-1966, when it was discontinued due to lack of popularity. It was reintroduced in a big printing in 1976 to celebrate the US bicentennial, and has been produced in limited quantities since then.

14. dpaanlka thread starter macrumors 601

dpaanlka

American $2 bills have been in constant production since the 1920s. You see them every now and then... I think I have one in my wallet. I want a whole bunch though, that would be fun to shop with.

usa2d1995.jpg

15. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

We've had two attempts in the past 30 years or so at replacing (or supplementing) dollar bills with dollar coins.

The first attempt was the Susan B. Anthony dollar coin, named for the founder of the American suffrage movement. The problem with the SBA was that it was EXACTLY the same size as the quarter (25¢) coin, and a lot of folks accidentally ended up putting them into vending machines. They felt just like quarters in your pocket, too. After a few years, they stopped minting them and now you never see them anymore.

The second attempt was the Sacajawea dollar coin, named for the Indian guide who went with Lewis and Clark to the Pacific Ocean. The Sacajawea coin is gold in color, but (again) it's practically the same size as the quarter, so people shun them. Sadly, if you use a postage vending machine at the Post Office, you get your change back in Sacajaweas. I haven't seen one in probably a year.

The English 50p coin is brilliant, if you ask me. You know when you've got one in your hand.

16. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

I have several Sacajaweas in my dining room (with my other coin jars). Likely going to Coinstar them into iTunes credit, as it isn't worth the hassle to use them.

17. Fuzzy14 macrumors 65816

Fuzzy14

Try going shopping in England with Scottish money, always makes me laugh how they check it 5 times before grudgingly accepting it. Made to feel a foreigner in almost your own country....

I checked wikipedia and read up on the notes. I believe you, they exist! I just hadn't come across any when I've been over there.

Why would somebody buy a sheet of notes? Do you have to cut them yourselves with scissors or is this strictly for collectors?

18. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

It's for collectors...I remember my dad buying a quarter-sheet (I think) of $2 bills when we visited the Bureau of Engraving and Printing in the late '80s. He's not really a money collector, but it's kind of a neat novelty thing to have around. You wouldn't just cut them up and spend them because the sheet costs more than the total face value of the bills.

19. adk macrumors 68000

adk

And they're trying again soon too. The "new new" dollar coin is going to be similar to the sacagawea but will have images of old presidents on them. Nixon gets his coin in 2018.

source

20. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I think this effort's not really aimed at replacing the dollar bill. After the revenue-raising success of the state quarters as people hoarded those coins, they thought they'd try a repeat performance with coins worth four times as much. Any money that stays out of circulation is profit for the BEP. (Except for the pennies and nickels, which cost more to make than their face value, so they want those to be circulated.)

21. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

Re: 2 dollar bills and coins

I love the $2 bill. Jefferson and the Declaration of Independence... the good old day. :)

Anyway, I think the dollar coin continues to fail in the U.S. because it needs to be complemented by a _two_ dollar coin.

If you buy a pack of gum with a fiver, do you really want four heavy ass thick dollar coins in change? I don't. But I'd take two $2 coins in a heartbeat.

don't most other countries with a ~dollar unit coin also have a 2-unit coin? I think the euro does, and I don't think dollar coins can work without them.

22. Fuzzy14 macrumors 65816

Fuzzy14

Yep, the BRITISH 50p coin is a heptagon so you can't confuse it with anything, apart from the 20p which is also a heptagon! (albeit a lot smaller.)

As it happens, I was watching CSI Vegas tonight and I swear I saw a one-arm bandit (slot machine?) paying out 2p coins. They were copper colour and it looked like the Prince of Wales emblem on them.

23. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Yes, they do, but the two-unit coin was often issued 10-15 years after the one-unit coin entered circulation. The Euro obviously doesn't hold to this pattern because the entire currency is so new.

24. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

IIRC, the last printing of the $2 was in 1995/6 or thereabouts. Check the series date. Personally, I love them, and the $1 and 50¢ coins as well. I always make it a point to get some whenever I go to the bank. Great for tipping and the like.

25. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Wikipedia says a new series was printed in 2003.