Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
IIRC, the last printing of the $2 was in 1995/6 or thereabouts. Check the series date. Personally, I love them, and the $1 and 50¢ coins as well. I always make it a point to get some whenever I go to the bank. Great for tipping and the like.

$2 bills are routinely printed. The newest issue (from Series 2003A) was printed earlier this year (July through September) and they are just now starting to appear in circulation.

Linkety

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
These are great for the lucky red envelopes that some people pass out for Chinese (and or other variant of the Lunar) New Year. I've gotten quite a few of them over the year and they sure beat the single one dollar bills. :p

hana

macrumors regular
May 23, 2003
Los Angeles

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Just a bit of trivia: The operators of Thomas Jefferson's Monticello in Virginia commonly give change using $2 bills!
And Illinois is the one state in the US (that I know of) where the tollbooths accept pennies. The sole reason? Abraham Lincoln (whose profile is on the penny) lived in Illinois as an adult.

What we really should be talking about is getting rid of pennies once and for all. You can't even buy anything with them anymore.

pseudobrit

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2002
Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
And Illinois is the one state in the US (that I know of) where the tollbooths accept pennies. The sole reason? Abraham Lincoln (whose profile is on the penny) lived in Illinois as an adult.

What we really should be talking about is getting rid of pennies once and for all. You can't even buy anything with them anymore.

Today I bought a smoothie with a $20 and evened out my return change with a few pennies.

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK

this is true. 1p and 2p pieces here get tiring after a while. you always find your pocket full of copper.

the one bank note that is always in short supply in shops is £5 notes. They're so commonly used, stores dont have enough, so give when possible, give you £5 in change in £1 coins. It strikes me as odd that when the £2 coin came out, everyone was using them... now... you get them now and then. I for one collect them, because they release collecting coins in general circulation. At the moment its WWII and Brunnel. I have one with the celebration of DNA on it with a double Helix, XVIII Commonwealth games. A rugby one, cant remember whats on it...

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Just a bit of trivia: The operators of Thomas Jefferson's Monticello in Virginia commonly give change using $2 bills!

Yep, got my change has $2 bills last time I was there.

That link seems to have suffered from Wiki vandalism. Someone should report it.

I don't see any vandalism. :confused: If there is, there's no need to report it to anyone (unless the vandal is on a rampage and needs to be blocked)...just revert it to a clean version.

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
I haven't been recently, but I think Disneyland also gives them out as change.

The thing I really dislike about the dollar coins is the hypocrisy. If some vending machine is going to give me $18 in dollar coins, I should be able to use those coins in that vending machine. Sadly, this is not the case.

hana

macrumors regular
May 23, 2003
Los Angeles
And I'm sure that people like carrying those coins around in the pockets or in their bag. All that weight for so little money.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
Sadly, if you use a postage vending machine at the Post Office, you get your change back in Sacajaweas. I haven't seen one in probably a year.

You also get them as change from the new Charlie ticket machines in MBTA stations.

I don't get why people have so much trouble telling a quarter and a Sacajawea dollar apart, one has ridges on the edge, the other doesn't.
Penny, nickel, dollar = smooth, dime, quarter = ridges. :confused:

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
If some vending machine is going to give me $18 in dollar coins, I should be able to use those coins in that vending machine. Sadly, this is not the case.
I haven't run across any that dispense but don't take dollar coins. What a strange concept. I mostly get them at the post office or one of the drink machines at work that takes fives.

B

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
I would just like to confirm for you that you can go into a bank and ask for $2 bills. I did that when i was filming a movie that took place in 1926, you can just ask and they'll give them to you no problem :)

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I just have to bring this up every time american currency is brought up...

Am I the only one that is totally annoyed that there are three current designs for our currency? The $1 and $2 bills share the same deisgn, as do the $5 and $100 bills, as do the $10, $20, and $50 bills.

Why can't we have a consistent design theme? Is that really asking too much!

:mad:

OK, I'm done. :D

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Am I the only one that is totally annoyed that there are three current designs for our currency? The $1 and $2 bills share the same deisgn, as do the $5 and $100 bills, as do the $10, $20, and $50 bills.

Because they're trying to stay one step ahead of the counterfeiters...that's the driving force behind the redesign of the $10, $20, and $50. Since it costs a good chunk of money to redesign a bill, they haven't updated the rarely-counterfeited smaller bills and the $100.

But if the recent court ruling in favor of the visually-impaired holds, you may just get your wish.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Because they're trying to stay one step ahead of the counterfeiters...that's the driving force behind the redesign of the $10, $20, and $50. Since it costs a good chunk of money to redesign a bill, they haven't updated the rarely-counterfeited smaller bills and the $100.

But if the recent court ruling in favor of the visually-impaired holds, you may just get your wish.
I realize they want to stay ahead of the counterfeiters, but why not come out with a redesign of the entire set? Truly, I don't care how much it costs, because relatively, it's an extremely small amount.

It's very important for our money to at lease match itself (considering it isn't extremely attractive in the first place). Our money represents our country. For example, our currency is the first item tourists will see upon coming to the US. ...First impressions are important.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.